• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX500 Not Working

xl309

Aug 12, 2009
Hello everyone.

I hooked up my President HR2510 and my DX500 in my pickup. When I keyed up I smoked my amp (several resistors that I could see) and now my 2510 doesn't have any transmit power. I looked to see what I could have done wrong. I found that on the amp I hooked up xmiter and antenna coax backwards. Could this really smoke my radio and amp?

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

If the radio by itself doesn't have output; then there is a decent chance that the final and/or driver is smoked. Maybe the bias resistors too - and more.

It takes the output of the radio to key the amp on - and with the input/output of the amp reversed - I think you radio saw a dead short on the output. The amp may still be fine - but don't hold me to it...

Hello everyone.

I hooked up my President HR2510 and my DX500 in my pickup. When I keyed up I smoked my amp (several resistors that I could see) and now my 2510 doesn't have any transmit power. I looked to see what I could have done wrong. I found that on the amp I hooked up xmiter and antenna coax backwards. Could this really smoke my radio and amp?

Thanks.

i bet your incoming signals were superb

Basically breathing on a 2510 will kill the final. One of the greatest radios ever made in its class, however also one of the most fragile. Some will disagree, but they in my OPINION have never been the best of mobiles. Only because they are so very sensitive to their environment, and how they are run. I would say, no output in the radio would be a pretty good sign of a blown final.

Hello everyone.

Thanks.

I hooked up amps and radios backwards more times than I care to admit but, what happens is that the relay clicks but, because there is no RF power going into the input stages, the amp does not put out power.

Keying a 2510 into an amp one time cannot blow both the radio and the amp, you need to look somewhere else and review your observations.

ok, I tried another radio (tr696fd1) with the amp. Not so good. Smoke came out of the amp and now this radio lost transmit power too. Maybe a bad amp? It all worked great in the house on a battery (deep cycle marine). SWR in truck was below 1.2, I opened up the amp (DX500) R23, R25, R26 and R29 are smoked. I will replace them tonight after supper.

If both the amp and radio worked fine before you installed them in the mobile then obviously there are two possibilities. One, something was wrong in the install. Two, when hooked up backwards something let loose.

Slam Dunk, I too have made this mistake but never with a 2510. If Junon600 is correct as to how fragile the 2510 is then that makes sense.

Xl309, I would stop trying to use that amp until you have it checked. Sounds like you have two blown radio's now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated