• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star dx667v turbo mod

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
Hi, i am looking to get a texas star dx667v turbo mod model or one thats ay's two thirds kilowatt on it, reason being i have heard those were the best one's made, so anyone have one for me??

it doesnt matter what is written on the front of it or the makers claims . it doesnt change what the final 4 pills are capable of . toshiba designed , specs and manufacturers those 2879's and they say they are good for 100 watts pep . many folks that get a 667 wind up wishing they just got a 500 instead and sometimes you see post by folks asking how to bypass the built in driver pill .

in the CB world of amps the watt claims by most amp builders cant be trusted or relied on for clean power output . some will even clain the 2879's will do 300 to 400 watts each ......... smoke and mirrors

you are right, i just like the turbo mod model cause of the bigger rf power meter and more solid design.

Hi Dan, You asking for an amp to buy or for the mod to enable a new amp to work on 11 meters?

If it's the mod, I believe it is posted at cbtricks.com They have a whole subsection on TS amps. I like the TS's too. Best-strongest preamp around, good design, pretty reliable. Several of the locals here run the 667's. They're all claiming 700-800 watts driven with 30-40W from a medium power radio.

Good luck!

I'm not nearly as experienced as a lot of you guys, but pretty sure 30 or 40 watts into a 667 is WAY too much drive. The way i had it explained to me was anything more than a 148 is going to be too much for the 2290 driver in there. Just my .02

it doesnt matter what is written on the front of it or the makers claims . it doesnt change what the final 4 pills are capable of . toshiba designed , specs and manufacturers those 2879's and they say they are good for 100 watts pep . many folks that get a 667 wind up wishing they just got a 500 instead and sometimes you see post by folks asking how to bypass the built in driver pill .

in the CB world of amps the watt claims by most amp builders cant be trusted or relied on for clean power output . some will even clain the 2879's will do 300 to 400 watts each ......... smoke and mirrors

Well AMPOWER gets more than that by using specially matched components than no one else can purchase because he has a contract with the device manufacturer.

Maybe TS has the same hook up.:LOL:

I'm not nearly as experienced as a lot of you guys, but pretty sure 30 or 40 watts into a 667 is WAY too much drive. The way i had it explained to me was anything more than a 148 is going to be too much for the 2290 driver in there. Just my .02

Hey Swanny, that's 30-40 on the swing, not dead key. Low Drive pill boxes will take 30-45W swing all day long.

1-4 watt dead key typical

okay. i guess i stand corrected. I was under the impression that the 667 would only take about 10 to 15 watts swing before overdriving it and a dk of about 1.5

Anyone that would suggest 45 watts PEP drive on a 60 watt 2SC2290 transistor hasn't done their homework. Swanny is absolutely right in thinking this is too much drive for the 667 even with a reduced carrier. We need to graduate from watt meters to scopes so you can really see what's happening as you increase the drive towards these ridiculous numbers.

By the time you get to half of the drive being claimed, the transistor is already heavily saturated with it peaks being clipped and flat toped. Increasing the drive further, only holds that amplifier in the flat top condition longer. On a watt meter it looks like more power because of the flat tops loaded with harmonic content. On the scope it's easy to see that not a drop more of peak power is being produced.

The specifications for the 2SC2290 state a maximum of 4 watts PEP drive with a minimum of 60 watts PEP output. Anyone that has worked with the device can tell you these are very conservative ratings. The transistor will easily run at twice this rating but to drive it with 10 times the rated PEP drive is insane and counter productive.

The situation I described is extremely common practice. A medium power radio only delivers that 30-45 watt peak on whistles ect....normal ordinary voice peaks only drives around the 15-20 watt range. Please don't be scaring the sheeple like this. They may start a stampede and it would cause a big mess that somebody's mama would have to come around and clean up.

I hate it when common sense is never considered. At a restaurant last weekend a waitress cards me for a beer. I obviously appear in my 50's, am bald and have a gray beard. I said "no." She replies the owner requires that everyone be carded. I reply with my "can't you balance out these situations with common sense" recommendation. She gets that Radio Shack blank stare look in her face....but doesn't budge. I told to her inform the owner that he lost a sale. I got along just fine without the beer. Didn't bother me any.....

Don't be a capital L Loser and lose a sale like this. Get on your fucking scooter and go to K Mart and buy some common sense. { comments not directed at anyone, just :whistle:'ing Dixie}

are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Enterprise312ok
One might think common sense would at least give the specifications in the data sheet the slightest consideration. There is also a huge difference between the original 45 watts PEP and 15 watts PEP on average voice peaks. I suspect that 45 watt PEP whistle is far from a sine wave by the time it makes it out of the amp. I also agree with your comment it is common practice to overdrive amplifiers on this band.

Reactions: 1 person
The 2SC2879 is rated at 100 watts PEP at 12.5 volts. Most run their mobile gear closer to 14 volts, so the output will increase some. I'm guessing that you can probably expect to see about 125 watts per transistor before it starts to saturate.

Hey ww, i am looking to buy the texas star dx667v turbo mod model amp and or the one that say two-thirds kilowatt on it, reason being i like the bigger rf output meters on them and i was told they wwere just made betetr and last longer.

Dan

The 2SC2879 is rated at 100 watts PEP at 12.5 volts. Most run their mobile gear closer to 14 volts, so the output will increase some. I'm guessing that you can probably expect to see about 125 watts per transistor before it starts to saturate.

The amplifier in question with this tread is the Texas Star DX667V and that uses a 2SC2290 driver transistor. It is this part that determines the amplifier drive requirements. Not the 2SC2879 finals. The Cobra 148GTL is a more appropriate radio to drive this amp then anything that produces 45 watts PEP.

The Cobra 148GTL is a more appropriate radio to drive this amp then anything that produces 45 watts PEP.

Appropriate? Appropriate?

There are thousands of guys running low drive pill boxes with non-turned-down medium power radios. Myself included. It's common practice as mentioned before. This set up works well and produces clean and clear modulation as long as you don't over-modulate into it. Dozens of locals around me doing it. Nobody's amps are blowing up and no one sounds crappy.

It works and works well. If it ain't broke - don't fix it. The proof is in the pudding.

Mmmmmm pudding !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.