• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star dx667v turbo mod

Swanny, for a junior member your operating practices seem to be beyond a few of the "more experienced". Once you realize you truly have to double your output power to notice the slightest half an S unit (3 db) increase, it doesn't make any sense to overdrive your amp. Once the amp flat tops, more drive just fakes the watt meter into showing a little bit more power because of the DC component the flat topping represents to the meter.

The wise person would disregard anyone that tells you a medium drive radio is appropriate for a low drive amp. The names alone indicate a direct contradiction in that advice. By the way, 15 to 20 watts maximum is indeed a low drive radio like the 148GTL Swanny suggested. The standard 4 watt carrier is 16 watts PEP when 100% modulated. Plenty of drive for the DX667V.

Username "Shockwave" sounds pretty over-electrified to me :D

Do as SW tells ya swanny. Let us know when you've purchased that $5,000 spectrum analyzer.

Here's what I have. A Galaxy 99V. That's V for Variable power. And a Texas Star DX 250. I set the deadkey on the Galaxy at 2 watts. And normal ordinary talkin' produces a peaks around 15-20 watts even thought the radio will swing up to around 40 watts if you whistle. I don't whistle to communicate. I talk.

So my 2 to 15-20 watts is the same thing SW is suggesting with a a more or less stock CB like a Cobra 148. But the Galaxy is a much better radio with extra channels and echo and roger beep and frequency counter and so on.

The 2 watt dead key creates about a 35 watt deadkey on the Texas Star, which then modulates towards it's full rated output of 200-25- watts with normal talking.

It is clean and clear and sounds great by all reports, all the time, both locals and DX. This is my report and testimony. You don't have to believe me but that is what I am doing. And thousands of other operators run very similar gear all around the country with the same results. Results will likewise be the same with a larger amp such as the 667V...you just get a greater output wattage because it's a bigger amp.

Sounds good over the air = Sounds good over the air. I don't understand what part of that you don't understand.

Username "Shockwave" sounds pretty over-electrified to me :D

Do as SW tells ya swanny. Let us know when you've purchased that $5,000 spectrum analyzer.

Here's what I have. A Galaxy 99V. That's V for Variable power. And a Texas Star DX 250. I set the deadkey on the Galaxy at 2 watts. And normal ordinary talkin' produces a peaks around 15-20 watts even thought the radio will swing up to around 40 watts if you whistle. I don't whistle to communicate. I talk.

So my 2 to 15-20 watts is the same thing SW is suggesting with a a more or less stock CB like a Cobra 148. But the Galaxy is a much better radio with extra channels and echo and roger beep and frequency counter and so on.

The 2 watt dead key creates about a 35 watt deadkey on the Texas Star, which then modulates towards it's full rated output of 200-25- watts with normal talking.

It is clean and clear and sounds great by all reports, all the time, both locals and DX. This is my report and testimony. You don't have to believe me but that is what I am doing. And thousands of other operators run very similar gear all around the country with the same results. Results will likewise be the same with a larger amp such as the 667V...you just get a greater output wattage because it's a bigger amp.

Sounds good over the air = Sounds good over the air. I don't understand what part of that you don't understand.

"Results will likewise be the same with a larger amp such as the 667V...you just get a greater output wattage because it's a bigger amp." How about no? Most DX 250 have a pair of 2SC2879 transistors. The maximum PEP input for them is 5 times more then the single 2SC2290 driver in the DX667V. Driving both amps with the same power is not correct. Pay less attention to my name and more to the content of what was written and you'll spread less misinformation :)

"Results will likewise be the same with a larger amp such as the 667V...you just get a greater output wattage because it's a bigger amp." How about no? Most DX 250 have a pair of 2SC2879 transistors. The maximum PEP input for them is 5 times more then the single 2SC2290 in the DX667V. Driving both amps with the same power is not correct. Pay less attention to my name and more to the content of what was written and you'll spread less misinformation :)

Guys all around me have every kind of pill box you can name. All drive them the same way as I describe. All sound good. I said you didn't have to believe me if you didn't want to.

You see all kind of specs on paper that don't play out in practical use. When you grow up and acquire 40 years practical radio experience like I have, you might learn that too. Or maybe not.

thanks for the comments wire weasel. A guy tries to learn the right way to do things and you bash him for it. Someone else might listen to you, but it won't be me. Take care.

Reactions: 1 person
thanks for the comments wire weasel. A guy tries to learn the right way to do things and you bash him for it. Someone else might listen to you, but it won't be me. Take care.

But....but....but......are you a two-faced weenie? SW is bashing me too. Okay for him but not for me?

There is no argument here. Just different comments and advice from different people. Learn what you will from whom. It's all good.

Radioman, you are right the DX 250 did come with a pair of 2SC2290 transistors but it just depends on when the amp was manufactured. The DX 250 has used everything from the MRF-455 to the 2SC2879 including some TRW transistors. The point is drive requirements are going to be at least double for two transistors.

Wire Weasel, It's not my intention to bash you or debate who has more experience. I could run down a long list of qualifications however it's more constructive to just let others pass their own judgment based on what information we have shared here with them.

a two faced weenie? lol my friend. I just choose not to be a jackass...Shockwave gave reasons that are based on solid rf theory. That's not bashing. You're offended because you were wrong. Get over it.

well all i can say is that wire weasel to me is a very nice person he has helped me out alot on here so please if you have a issue with him dont bash him on a post i started we have seem to go off the intented reason i posted this and that is i am looking to get a texas star dx667v turbo mod model amp or one that says two-thirds kilo-watt on it so kepp the bashing between yourselves,please?

Guys Lets keep ALL the bashing aside..and stay on Topic, Thank you.
As for the Turbo 667/Two Thirds Kilowat 667, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They are very similar to the current DX 667V and have been out of production for a long time...I have run both over the years and you will not see any difference in output amoung the two.[/FONT]
Unless you were to run a single final radio into it, I would stick with the 500/500V model as it would give you a little more flexabilty. If you just want one to have because they are unique, you will will have to look to the used market to find one.

Jeff

Attachments

• 667Vxmtr.jpg
    667Vxmtr.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 142
  • dx667v_turbo_mod_sm.jpg
    dx667v_turbo_mod_sm.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yes i uderstand i would have to buy used and thats fine with me and thank you for the pictures the one on the right that says turbo mod thats the one i am looking for:)

first post here but had to chime in

i actually own 2 DX-667Vs ( a newer one with the DEI pills and an older one with the toshibas) and a turbo.

the difference between the toshiba and the DEI models is very negligible. the DEIs put out about 90%-95% of the toshibas power, but in the real world , you dont even notice a difference on the meter or in DX land...

secondly, the turbo i have pretty much puts out exactly what the older 667V with toshibas does. all three will PEP around 750 on my DOSY meter.

if your stuck on a turbo, rethink it cause their isnt a noticable difference in real life.

ive also got a couple gorgeous quads of used toshiba 2SC2897 (both quads came out of DX500s that were brought in nearly new for one reason or another junked for bigger amps) that i have on hand to replace the DEIs if they happen to go south.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated