• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The $4.00 20 meter vertical

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
I have this week off work and while cleaning the garage yesterday I found a bag of aluminum tent poles I picked up at a yard sale a few years ago. I got the bug to build a ground mounted vertical for 20m. But, I was only going to do it if I had all the stuff I needed without buying anything. Turns out I had to buy a $4 bag of ground cloth staples to anchor the radials and coax. Big deal :)

This is a super easy antenna to build and it is only an s unit or two down on US stations from my dipoles that are up at 55' and 45' . Not bad and some signals are actually better on the vertical with only 8 radials. No DX around right now but it should do pretty well.

The antenna started at 16' 6 inches and wound up a little shorter during the 5 minutes it took me to tune it with some holes I pre-drilled in two sections of tubing. I laid out 8 radials the same length and have an ugly balun (choke) at the feed point. The tapered end of the tubing fit perfectly in 1 inch pvc pipe to keep the vertical radiator insulated from ground. I soldered the radials to an 8 inch ring i made with a scrap piece of heavy ground wire.

Attachments

• Vert 1.JPG
    Vert 1.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 210
  • vert 2.JPG
    vert 2.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 20170706_124334.jpg
    20170706_124334.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated