• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Baofeng UV-5R: Better than you thought . . .

I looked over the spec's on that Smiley antenna and it seems that they are similar the commet SMA-24J and the Diamond SRJ77CA. So what about it makes you feel that it is superior to those?
For one thing the over length makes is better. Extends to 22" as apposed to 15" on the 77. I have the Diamond 77ca and yes they are close on VHF but on UHF there is no comparison.

They are $22, not a big investment so it might be worth the try. I am not the only one who feels this way. Oh and one last thing, it works on 220.

Last edited:
The UV5R is what it is. I would not waste money on any of the frilly variants of it, its all the same thing, different bling.

Legend has it the early versions of it would do 220.

I actually used my UV5R for work and play. I am surprised how little is has fallen apart. I was expecting it to be in pieces by now.
I have had used it on the job and in the woods for about 6 months now.
So far the following has broke

(1)The antenna broke, solder joint just broke inside, tried to fix it but it just kept breaking. This was a big deal with me, I was pissed. Now I run a Larsen Kulduckie or a chicom monoband antenna on it, depending on band. I would have never known (until it was too late) it had broke, except for that I was in a training cert course and thought it be smartass to hook the antenna up to the system analyzer only to find its not matching on any freq. Good thing it didnt happen in the woods or up a tower.

(2)Stock battery packs were disappointing, and one pack would internally short under load, causing the radio to chop in and out.
The 3800 mah battery is a must for anything beyond light recreational use.

(3)When cold, the display will not display some icons, like the 1st digit for channels higher than 99, such as channel 120, displays as channel 20. Also the keypad lock icon will not display when cold.

(4)The volume knob fell off, fixed with layers of heat shrink, a rubber cap for an SMA connector, and more heat shrink.

The numbers on almost all of the buttons, have rubbed off. Fine for me because I remember them, but not fine for 99% of everyone else who dont.

Thats about it for things that broke. I have complaints also, but they apply to most any china direct radio.
(1)scan speed, so slow scan is useless for anything more than 10 channels
(2)scan functions.......delay, lockout,etc......not included on china radio
(3)no crossband offsets (workaround exist***ask for details)
(4)low RX audio
(5)no simple voice inversion........come on, you know its got the capability, its just not in the menus
(6)side radio and flashlight buttons are easily pressed by accident, as well as audible alarm (can be disabled with software), should be like, an unlock button you hold and then unlocks while held but then locks when unheld

The radio still feels solid, but if it does not last me at least a year, I am done with china direct radios, nothing but used Relm, Vertex and Maxon for me.

For one thing the over length makes is better. Extends to 22" as apposed to 15" on the 77. I have the Diamond 77ca and yes they are close on VHF but on UHF there is no comparison.

They are $22, not a big investment so it might be worth the try. I am not the only one who feels this way. Oh and one last thing, it works on 220.

I had a chance to play around with some antennas. I tried the commet sma-24J...and compared it to the Diamond nr-770 and the commet ca 2x4sr. Now I know these two antennas are not practical but just to do a comparisin and found the SMA-24J is very close to these two on TX. The RX was a little better with the NR-770 but that was to be expected. The tests were done on two repeaters one at about 6 miles away and the other 18 miles away.

But as it was said before your just putting around 4 watts into a piece of wire.

It is still intreagueing to see the reviews on it. I may have to try one of these in the future.

It is an awesome radio no question, all our club members use them for ham frs murs and gmrs and other allocated freq.'s they are great the better antenna helps a lot and the mag mount antenna is also good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated