• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The family behind my first HF rig..now which one?

If you're looking at a new radio (rather than used), I would actually avoid the 718. I've had one for about 18 months now. I've tried really hard to like this radio, but it just doesn't float my boat.

The receiver has really good specs, but just doesn't hear all that well. My old Kenwoods (a TS-130 and TS-520) both hear MUCH better than the Icom. Also, because of the small internal speaker, the 718 gets really tiresome to listen to after a short period. If you must get a 718, get an outboard speaker for it.

I think there are better choices out there. The Kenwood TS-140 would be my choice. Yes, older technology, but a solid performer.

I would be weary of used radio's because I always wonder why someone is selling it. Did they screw it up with a golden screwdriver and now want to pass it on?

Take a hard look at the Yaesu 459D,

Right now new ones are being offered for $650.00 after discounts and rebates. More bang for the buck compared to the 718.

The Yaesu has DSP and better IF filtering and has 6 and 60 meters. Also has a TCXO which keeps the frequency stable and voice recorder are both built in which the Icom does not have.The lighted buttons and nicer LED displays and overall look exceeds the 718 in my opinion.

The Icom is cheaper and is considered to be a nice compact entry level radio.

Alincos are cheaply made. I have a DX SR8T which I use for a backup spare for my mobile. Not much in the way of filtering which is a useful tool to have and the VFO is very loose and has no tension adjustment. Plus for a mobile radio, it's huge. These are considered to be a poor mans HF radio. I got this in trade for an old mobile screwdriver antenna I had so I'm glad I didn't buy one full price sort of speak.

Good luck with ever one you decide to go with!

Reactions: Bearcat
Your other questions about DSP, Mars,and tuners.

DSP is digital signal processing. This refers to the processing of analog to digital and back to analog converters (A/D/D/A) used in IF filtering and noise reduction for the receiver among other things. Most modern HF radio's have DSP.

Mars stands for Military Auxiliary Radio System which is a membership required Military radio service for licensed amateurs and you have to remain active to keep your membership.The frequencies used are mostly outside the amateur bands.

In the real world, the term M.A.R.S. is used to describe a radio that has been opened up to transmit fully on all frequencies the radio is capable of. New HF rigs do not transmit outside the amateur bands. When a HF radio is modified for full transmit coverage, it is referred to as the Mars mod.

Built in tuner are nice but they have a limited range of tuning antenna impedance's much above 50 ohms. Most built in tuners that I'm aware of won't tune if your initial SWR is over 3:1. except the high end radios, but you have to purchase and install separate tuner modules. Also if you ever decide to run an amplifier, you need a external tuner behind the amplifier since the internal tuner won't do any good in this case.

Antenna tuners really don''t tune an antenna, all they do is match your radio's 50 ohm output to a antenna system that is not 50 ohms. This keeps your radio happy and it's full output power since many new radio's are designed to cut back power to protect it when it see's a mismatched antenna that is not 50 ohms. But even though the radio may be tuned to show 100 watts full output, your antenna's actual radiated power will be far less since your antenna may still not be resonant to a 50 ohm load.

The best antennas are usually the ones that don't require a tuner so start doing some research on what kind of an antenna system you want. Many times it is a compromise between costs, space available, what your neighborhood will allow, and ultimately what the wife will let you put up on HER house!

Don't be discouraged about not having a perfect antenna especially for multi-band antennas, Most of these work well on multiple bands and many of us use them with very good results. I use a Carolina windom in a inverted V configuration which is a good off-center fed multi-band antenna and on some of the bands, It doesn't require a tuner.

ccw80graphic.jpg

I still have my IC-718. I added the Inrad 1.8 khz filter for ssb and it really helped the receive a lot. Good, solid rig that I have owned for about 7 years now. That being said, I think the technology is too old for the money (now). IF dsp is so much better than AF. I would look at the Yaesu FT-450 or the Alinco.

Brett

Heathkit hw 100
Getting out of the hobby. Have a heathkit hw-100 works well and looks as new smooth vfo. Mic jack changed to a 1/4 inch stereo plug like the atlas etc use. 175 plus shipping. Might entertain a trade/part trade for 11 meter ssb base equipment.
Listing #1241324 - Submitted on 01/08/16 by Callsign KA5IAK - IP: h252.236.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend

POSTED on QTH.com

WOW! Trade GOOD STARTER Tube type HF rig (Classic Rig) for SSB CB gear ....might be worth contacting this Op if you have some clean working SSB CB gear to unload(y)

I just wonder if it includes the HP 23 power supply....It should...but worth asking...
All the Best
Gary

there is a used icom 7200 on qrz for $550 shipped,, that's a pretty good deal and wont last long im sure, it was just posted this morning

Yes Icom 7200 are FANTASTIC radio for the price! They cover everything need on HF from 6M to 160M.

I'll GREATLY recommend you to watch the following YouTube Videos about it:

Carl

so the wife and my family are wanting to help me purchase first HF rig...I'm torn between

1.The infamous Icom 718
2.The Yaesu ft 450
3.The bottom of the barrel Alinco Sr8t

I have read a little about built in Tuners? And Dsp (I still don't quite understand) ...MARS ECT.

In short which of these entry level rigs would be best considering I'm a late night rag chew type of operator (I won't ever contest or go out in the field) I like a very good receiver..better than output. HF GURUS HELP!
Have you found your first of many hf radios yet?
They all have good points about them.
You might find a local ham with a used one for sale that would let you come over and try it out.
Also some of the big ham stores have a few hooked up
So you can ck them out.

I'm so busy right now that I can't seem to pass my General above 65-70% so I'm setting up a 2 meter station for right now...still studying a bit at night

Reactions: 2RT307
I'm so busy right now that I can't seem to pass my General above 65-70% so I'm setting up a 2 meter station for right now...still studying a bit at night

I remember hitting a wall at about those scores myself. Keep studying, and key in on the ones that you are weakest on, and study harder in those areas. You'll soon be scoring regularly in the 90-100% range.

Brett

And as far as radios go, The kenwood ts480hx is an awesome starter radio as far as I can tell from the use I have had with the one my local pal just got. Internal tuner works well too!! Just some food for thought. And keep at it. You'll pass if you keep at it man!!

"But even though the radio may be tuned to show 100 watts full output, your antenna's actual radiated power will be far less since your antenna may still not be resonant to a 50 ohm load.

The best antennas are usually the ones that don't require a tuner"
That's not exactly true, if using COAX, then the losses from the high SWR will affect your radiated power, but if using ladder line, the loss is trivial.
The best antennas don't require tuners? Resonant antennas will rarely cover all the bands. A non-resonant antenna using a tuner and low loss ladder line is a very effective antenna and gives you access to all of the bands.
I run a ladder line fed loop tossed over a couple trees in my front yard, it's matched with an MFJ 993b auto tuner (my Dentron Super Tuner will also tune it just fine, I'm just low vision and the auto tuner is quicker) and I can work 160 through 10 meters, no problem, and my 100 watts gets heard world wide...Worked all states, worked all continents and DXCC in 8 months. If you have a couple handy trees and can get a 200' foot or longer loop of wire up (use a pneumatic launcher made from pvc - Google for plans, there are many out there), it can make a very effective antenna that's cheap, easy and virtually maintenance free...it laughs at wind, ice, etc..
The rig's tuner probably won't tune all the bands though, and you'd need to buy a balun to interface the ladder line to a short piece of coax to hook to the radio, so an external tuner is required for best performance (external tuners usually contain a balun). If just running rig power, my 993b works great - just so nice to simply push a button and done, ready to go.

Reactions: n8fgb and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?