1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Myth Surrounding Antenna Take Off Angles

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Captain Kilowatt, Jun 24, 2012.

1. W5LZ

W5LZ
    Expand Collapse
    Crotchety Old Bastard

"... that was placed in a free space ( nothing in the first and second Fresnel Zone )..."
    By definition, a fresnel zone can't be in 'free space', bad description there...
    - 'Doc

1 person likes this.

2. Onelasttime

Onelasttime
    Expand Collapse

Well no matter what the hobby be it amateur radio, target shooting, or playing the trumpet there will always be a subset in each group that has to take things to the extreme. Sometimes you have to wonder if they even like talking on the radio because they spend more time fussing over gear than actually talking on the gear!

I am-not immune to this myself. I have spent more time than I care to admit trying to figure out the perfect barrel dimensions, load parameters, barrel materials etc.... Far more time than I actually spend on the range.

For some people fussing over antenna details and coax and other such things might be more fun than talking on the radio but building an antenna is pointless with out a radio so the radio hobby is just their to feed their desire to build things and exercise their mind's analytical side!

I tend to be the opposite! I do like to talk about such things but I would rather talk on the radio than be stuck in my basement or garage building an antenna or tweaking the radio itself. All of that is good stuff but for me the real fun is talking on the air all the other stuff is secondary.

I also think that a lot of men today need more drama in their lives than they did years ago and forums like this and polarizing topics provide that drama. It is not as if you can go down to the pub on the corner and talk about antenna's! LOL

P.S. Thanks for the technical tutoring I love learning new things and the finer details of old things! Great post!

Riverman71 likes this.
  3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop
    Expand Collapse

The one on the left is 4 feet long and the one on the right is 7 ft long. Which one has a lower take off angle?
    1512673798126.png

4. The DB

The DB
    Expand Collapse

The TOA is determined mostly by where the current node is and how high it is above the earth. On all 1/4 wavelength antennas, including shortened 1/4 wavelength antennas like these the feed point is where the current node is. Because of this, if these antennas are mounted on identical mounts, they will have the same take off angle. If one is mounted higher than the other, the higher antenna will have the lower TOA.

The DB

rabbiporkchop likes this.