• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The old FCC issued cb call signs

In tribute to my Father and his best friend, This is KAFX7515 calling WA1410 . May they communicate forever.

KCV 2068 was my 1st in 1968. I ran a 4 channel Webster 411 and a CLR2 ground plane. I still have the Webster 411.

Hi all mine ia KSW-9474 era 1976. SBE Catalina 2 in a 65 mustang. With a 102" on a rat shack chain type bumber mount. worked great for what it was.

In early 1980 we bought a number of Radio Shack 40 channel AM CBs for the farm. I remember we received the call KBPA5404 which was good for five years. After the Communications Act changes of 1982 the FCC dropped formal licensing of Part 95 Subpart D and everyone became "licensed by rule". We did get some use out of the radios for a few years once we chose 39 as our primary channel which didn't have much interference until Es or F2 propagation rolled in.

Now I have a UHF repeater in place as KNNT770 which works much better.

My guess is that those old CB combinations have been recycled for other services such as Part 90. OTOH, if they have not been reissued, then the FCC has obviously kept track of them in some manner.

I'm sure there is a record of them numbers some where.
I can't see the government throwing away something that could be used against you later.
:D

Out in my garage - there is a old CD - Civil Defense card that you had to carry on your sunvisor that permitted you to operate a CB radio in your car.
I believe the law back then said you had to frame your license and that it had to hang on a wall near your CB radio or something.

My dad's call letters were KNP 2516 and my Uncles was KNP 1413
His was on there too.

The link that was posted for old call signs - it is funny, because when I went to tear down the shanty - which was where the CB shack was set up - under the Futon couch there was one box of S3 magazines and another box of QSL cards and one card that stuck out in my mind was from a guy up in Erie PA - KID 3145

It's pretty neat when you can physically put a card with a person - 45 years later. The post mark was probably 1965 - because my sister was born in 1966 and my dad's QSL cards did not have her name on it - just my mom and dad's and my two sisters and I.

Maybe I will have to dig around in the garage and find that box and scan a couple of hundred of them someday when I don't have anything to do.

I believe you were required to display your license in a conspicuous place for viewing and not require to frame it but that would add a touch of civility to any decor. :D wish I could remember my old # but that was issued 42 years ago and there's been a lot of water under this bridge.:redface: seems like it was KY3629

My fathers' call was KCK 187 but, hows about when CB exploded and they were doing the self-licensing thing; I think it was the letter "K" plus your initials and 5 digit zip code and you had to identify at the beginning and end of each transmission.

IIRC, that whole Zip Code licensing scheme was just supposed to be a temporary call sign until you got your official license in the mail. Government being a somewhat sluggish beast it took several weeks to get the application filed and the license issued, so this provided a way for someone who just got their new radio to get on the air immediately but legally.

Back in the 1970s the FCC was SERIOUS about using your official call sign as can be seen on this violation I got back when I was a teenager for not saying my call letters a few times:

ih2j4y.jpg

I had to ask my mother for a check for $50. :eek: She was pissed. :censored:

Mine was KSD-9605. Had a Johnson black face 10 channel for base - into an Elkin 2 tube mobile box. Truck batterys on the ground outside my bedroom w/big old battery charger all under a lean-to feeding the Elkin. Elkin was driving a Galaxy ham amp (remember the old Galaxy 5 series?) that took at least 100 watts to drive. Ten or twelve sweep tubes IIRC. The lights in the old house would flicker with my modulation level. Didn't use that callsign with anything but the Johnson in line, though! Hehehe......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated