• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Shakespeare ABS 1600

Unit 194

Feb 25, 2006
New Jersey
This pricey 5/8 wave vertical base antenna was also known as the Army Big Stick. This base antenna was camouflage green in color and Shakespeare erroneously advertised and claimed it had a 12.5 dbi gain.

After owning two of these "clunkers" I would have to honestly say that this was the worst base antenna I have ever owned. The much cheaper A99 1/2 wave vertical base antenna outperformed the ABS 1600 by a country mile. The A99 had superior TX/RX and much lower SWR's.

I guess thats why this "clunker" is no longer manufactured.

Reactions: Marconi

I saw one of those for sale in an HRO store a while back. I think someone brought it in on consignment. They wanted a ridiculous price for it!

Was there a point to this post or are you only venting?

It sounds like you are answering a question or replying to another post.....I can't be sure.

The point to this post (from my first hand experience) is that the ABS 1600 5/8 wave base antenna was an over-hyped, over-priced waste of money. Compared to the much cheaper and better performing A99, this antenna in my opinion was a "lemon". There must be a very good reason why this antenna is no longer manufactured.

I guess you would call that venting.

I purchased an ABS 1600 when they first came out back in the 90's. It served me well for several years, far outclassed and out performed the Antron 99 I had previously. Had the base of the ABS 1600 36' in the air on a well grounded push up pole. SWR of 1.3.1 across the band. Tried out an Imax 2000 when they came out, way too much flexing in the wind, put the ABS 1600 back up. It went through hurricanes in south Alabama without damage +(Erin & Opal) Wish I had kept it when I moved. Found a used on in PDX, and it was weathered to the point that moisture was able to permeate the fiberglass and developed a high SWR (5.8) Let it dry out completely, and the SWR issue cleared up, back to a 1.3.1. Now it's back to thwe high SWR, so down it comes and I'll try sealing the fiberglass and see what happens. If anyone has a NOS ABS 1600, let me know. I'm in the market for one.

This pricey 5/8 wave vertical base antenna was also known as the Army Big Stick. This base antenna was camouflage green in color and Shakespeare erroneously advertised and claimed it had a 12.5 dbi gain.

After owning two of these "clunkers" I would have to honestly say that this was the worst base antenna I have ever owned. The much cheaper A99 1/2 wave vertical base antenna outperformed the ABS 1600 by a country mile. The A99 had superior TX/RX and much lower SWR's.

I guess thats why this "clunker" is no longer manufactured.

I tried it out back when it can out. It actually caught on fire and fell off my roof after a few keys.

Reactions: Unit 194
Still wish I had a brand new ABS 1600, worked the best of all antennas I've run. I'm running a Sirio 827 now, and so far, it's holding up very well, having gone through some high winds and currently icy conditions. 1.2.1 across the CB band. BUT..... I still like that damn ol' ABS 1600...call it nostalgia :)~

The point to this post (from my first hand experience) is that the ABS 1600 5/8 wave base antenna was an over-hyped, over-priced waste of money. Compared to the much cheaper and better performing A99, this antenna in my opinion was a "lemon". There must be a very good reason why this antenna is no longer manufactured.

I guess you would call that venting.

Call it what you will, if it caught fire, then you obviously did something to cause it. A 5/8 wave will out perform a 1/2 wave any day of the week all things being equal. Caught on fire....Trucker tale where the driver starts the story off by saying; "You aint gonna believe this sh@t!"....

I purchased an ABS 1600 when they first came out back in the 90's. It served me well for several years, far outclassed and out performed the Antron 99 I had previously. Had the base of the ABS 1600 36' in the air on a well grounded push up pole. SWR of 1.3.1 across the band. Tried out an Imax 2000 when they came out, way too much flexing in the wind, put the ABS 1600 back up. It went through hurricanes in south Alabama without damage +(Erin & Opal) Wish I had kept it when I moved. Found a used on in PDX, and it was weathered to the point that moisture was able to permeate the fiberglass and developed a high SWR (5.8) Let it dry out completely, and the SWR issue cleared up, back to a 1.3.1. Now it's back to thwe high SWR, so down it comes and I'll try sealing the fiberglass and see what happens. If anyone has a NOS ABS 1600, let me know. I'm in the market for one.
Hello . Where are you located ? I have one NOS here in Michigan . Please send me a PM . Thanks

These ABS1600 antennas were advertised to take 5kw, no way. Mine had electrical intermittent internal connection, at 1kw. Shakespear replaced the antenna, which is ok. But never used again.

Jay in the Grate Mojave Desert

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated