• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

think about it !!!

Cold War Vet

KI7RPM
Aug 30, 2017
tucson az
ok so for the past few weeks we have all been complaining about the band conditions
Admit it you have whether you said it or thought it

so tonight as i was on my usual net and the noise was s-8 s-9 and im just livid :mad:
my xyl decides she needs a sweet tea so as the good husband ;) i am
i hop in my truck and proceed to go to the nearest QT
so on my way out of the neighborhood im looking at all the light displays in my neighborhood
thinking how beautiful
Then it hits me DOH!!!!!!!!!:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
my noise level has been horrendous since oh say thanksgiving
all the lights that have been put up is the cause of my noise

just something to think about

73's Merry christmas

I'm a HF SOTA only guy so I haven't really experienced the noise except once. But that once had me pissed off and said I would never go back to that summit. That was just over a week ago, so maybe in the new year...

Reactions: Cold War Vet
ok so for the past few weeks we have all been complaining about the band conditions
Admit it you have whether you said it or thought it

so tonight as i was on my usual net and the noise was s-8 s-9 and im just livid :mad:
my xyl decides she needs a sweet tea so as the good husband ;) i am
i hop in my truck and proceed to go to the nearest QT
so on my way out of the neighborhood im looking at all the light displays in my neighborhood
thinking how beautiful
Then it hits me DOH!!!!!!!!!:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
my noise level has been horrendous since oh say thanksgiving
all the lights that have been put up is the cause of my noise

just something to think about

73's Merry christmas
I'm assuming most, if not all the Christmas lights have been taken down. Has the S8- 9 noise level diminished, or ceased all together?

Reactions: Cold War Vet
actually it has not as much as thought it would but at least by 3 db
What trasciver are you using (DSP, PBT?)
Not that it matters, because an external DSP speaker stacked on top of what might be a transciever that that already utilizes a 16 or 32 bit DSP prosser will most of the time work wonders.
I am a cb'er who uses a uniden Madison as my SSB rig. One day out of nowhere I began getting an intermittent s3-5 interference signal that hurt my already poor rx (imax 2000 10' from ground to feed point) signal.
After 3 weeks I had to do sometimes. I purchased the latest model West Mountain DSP speaker.
Wow! It not only removed that s3-5 interference it made the RX on my madison sound like a high end receiver. I never found out what the interference was coming from, but it was gone. I continued to use the DSP speaker for months after. The only reason I got rig of it was a trade that totaled &700 in goodies. Included in that trade was a mint autek
fq-a1 analog noise filter. The autek worked nice with my madison but adjustments were needed, and after a week I retired it. A station in PA had a serious interference issue and after my recommendation that guy bought the West Mountain DSP speaker and when I next spoke to him months later he couldn't thank me enough. Even if the problem goes away you won't regret the purchase.
After taking care of some pressing station issues I'm going to purchase another. There's a small optional splitter so you could use it without unplugging it and plugging it into another rig. If you decide to go this route you won't regret it.
Cheap ham, has the best price @ $185. Pricey yes but worth every penny. It should actually be a prerequisite. Especially 4 CB radios and amateur transceivers without DSP. I've seen video clips of people using them on Modern DSP equipped transceivers, and even with built-in DSP the speaker is an incredible device that helps with not only pulling in stations that you normally couldn't hear, but it offten gets rid of unwanted line noise, plasma television etc etc etc. This clip is of the West Mountain DSP CLR speech filter, and not the speaker, but the work very similar. I've never used one of the filter device - the speaker, but you can see what it does when it comes to the type of noise you're experiencing. This guy seems like he's having a serious line noise issue. And you can clearly hear how incredible these DSP devices work. Good luck. Happy New Year and 73 s

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What trasciver are you using (DSP, PBT?)
Not that it matters, because an external DSP speaker stacked on top of what might be a transciever that that already utilizes a 16 or 32 bit DSP prosser will most of the time work wonders.
I am a cb'er who uses a uniden Madison as my SSB rig. One day out of nowhere I began getting an intermittent s3-5 interference signal that hurt my already poor rx (imax 2000 10' from ground to feed point) signal.
After 3 weeks I had to do sometimes. I purchased the latest model West Mountain DSP speaker.
Wow! It not only removed that s3-5 interference it made the RX on my madison sound like a high end receiver. I never found out what the interference was coming from, but it was gone. I continued to use the DSP speaker for months after. The only reason I got rig of it was a trade that totaled &700 in goodies. Included in that trade was a mint autek
fq-a1 analog noise filter. The autek worked nice with my madison but adjustments were needed, and after a week I retired it. A station in PA had a serious interference issue and after my recommendation that guy bought the West Mountain DSP speaker and when I next spoke to him months later he couldn't thank me enough. Even if the problem goes away you won't regret the purchase.
After taking care of some pressing station issues I'm going to purchase another. There's a small optional splitter so you could use it without unplugging it and plugging it into another rig. If you decide to go this route you won't regret it.
Cheap ham, has the best price @ $185. Pricey yes but worth every penny. It should actually be a prerequisite. Especially 4 CB radios and amateur transceivers without DSP. I've seen video clips of people using them on Modern DSP equipped transceivers, and even with built-in DSP the speaker is an incredible device that helps with not only pulling in stations that you normally couldn't hear, but it offten gets rid of unwanted line noise, plasma television etc etc etc. This clip is of the West Mountain DSP CLR speech filter, and not the speaker, but the work very similar. I've never used one of the filter device - the speaker, but you can see what it does when it comes to the type of noise you're experiencing. This guy seems like he's having a serious line noise issue. And you can clearly hear how incredible these DSP devices work. Good luck. Happy New Year and 73 s

yeah im running a Kenwood TS-120S HF rig with a 80-10 multifan dipole 30' up i use head sets so ext speaker isnt the issue

This is the description from their website.

West Mountain Radio's proprietary ClearSpeech® Adaptive Noise Filtering Algorithm attenuates or completely removes hum, hiss, ignition and powerline noise, static and heterodynes. Speaker and processor versions are available for your home or mobile station.

They also have a unit that works on headphones. I am going to check this out.

Reactions: Sonar
This is the description from their website.

West Mountain Radio's proprietary ClearSpeech® Adaptive Noise Filtering Algorithm attenuates or completely removes hum, hiss, ignition and powerline noise, static and heterodynes. Speaker and processor versions are available for your home or mobile station.

They also have a unit that works on headphones. I am going to check this out.
The West Mountain DSP speaker I was using was the one with the knob for adjusting the level of DSP in the front of the speaker. That would be they're most up-to-date model. The other one is no longer made, but can be bought on eBay. I think the adjustment for DSP on the earlier West Mountain is either on the side or the back of the speaker making it kind of a bitch to adjust the level of DSP. Especially if the speaker is mounted. Either one of those speakers will allow use for external headphones. The DSP will bypass the West mountains speaker and go right through the headphones once their plugged into the headphones Jack. The device shown in the video I posted, is a bit different as there is no speaker. I'm assuming they both work the same when it comes to reducing electrical interference. They also do an incredible job of bringing down the noise level in order to hear a station that's way down in static. There are several other companies that sell DSP speakers, but after my online research I found the West Mountain to have the best reviews. And the price through cheap ham is definitely the best at a hundred and $185. Good luck.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Wanna talk about noise sources?

Think about these common and loud noises:

1. Neighbor using an electric drill, grinder, saw, etc.
2. Neighbor using an arc/mig/tig welder - nasty!
3. Neighbor has a cheap DC to AC converter for their solar panel array.
4. Most common is often right under your nose - a cheap and unfiltered 12v switching-type power supply.

Last edited:
Yup,

Wifes desk lamp, new led lamps in the bedroom (or is it the dimmer), shack desktop computer too close to the imax, battery charger, furnace blower....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.