• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on IC-756 Pro II?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, I have a line on a real clean Icom IC-756 Pro II locally for a decent price. I've read all the reviews on eHam, but don't find much on YouTube as far as comparisons or general operation. Just wondering what you guy's experience has been with them? The price is close enough that I could spend a couple hundred more for a new TS-590S or TS-2000. Having VHF/UHF with the 2000 is not really a deal breaker for me. Also, I'm not planning on dragging the rig out to field day or going portable with it. Thoughts, experiences, and recommendations???

Brett

not knockin the PRO II, I have a pro III.

but,.......... if you are within a couple hundred $ compared to a new and currently produced rig with a factory warantee, then it seems a no brainer to me.

YMMV

I agree with RS. I hate the way people think a 10 yr old rig is worth almost as much as new rig.
Rich

Brett,

I owned one and would love to have another. Divorce attorneys made me sell it. It is a fantastic HF rig with a great receiver and transmit audio. The live band scope display is a really nice feature and all the functions you'll use 90% of the time are located on the front of the radio and not buried in a menu as on the TS-2000. I can't speak for the TS-590 since I've never owned one.

I think the prices are hanging a little high on used Pro II's because it is such a good rig.
If I had the chance to buy another one in good shape for a reasonable price I'd jump all over it.

What about the ft100d wit an antenna tuner as well. I have a lead on a clean one for about 300-350. Are they any good?

What about the ft100d wit an antenna tuner as well. I have a lead on a clean one for about 300-350. Are they any good?

Depends on what the tuner is. I'd never pay any more that $300 on any variant of a used FT-100. I don't care how lovingly someone cared for it. They have potential issues and parts are virtually nill.

Reactions: 1 person
Brett,

I owned one and would love to have another. Divorce attorneys made me sell it. It is a fantastic HF rig with a great receiver and transmit audio. The live band scope display is a really nice feature and all the functions you'll use 90% of the time are located on the front of the radio and not buried in a menu as on the TS-2000. I can't speak for the TS-590 since I've never owned one.

I think the prices are hanging a little high on used Pro II's because it is such a good rig.
If I had the chance to buy another one in good shape for a reasonable price I'd jump all over it.

I got to check the rig out on the air today, and yes... it's a really nice rig. Very clean, and comes with a Heil iCM mic. He hasn't decided on a price yet, but he's the same fella that sold me the Kenwood TS-520 I have. I jokingly told him I'd pay the same (125 bucks) for the Icom. :love: I will have to see what he decides on for asking price, then will make my decision. From what I've seen, the Pro II's seem to go for 1200 bucks, and the mic is not a big deal to me since I already have outboard audio gear.

Still considering the TS-590, as I really don't like the FT-1200, and the Icom 7410 doesn't really do it for me either. And gee whiz, I still REALLY like the hybrid Kenwoods, and found a real nice TS-830 with speaker and MC-50 locally for a nice price. Decisions, decisions!

Brett

I replaced an FT950 with an Icom 756 pro 2.

The Icom is a very nice receiver and the band scope is more useful then on the Yaesu 1200's.

I really liked the 950 and would still have it but the chance at the Icom came along. The Icom has a good receiver.

The point about the Kenwood 590 having a warranty is valid, but dang the Icom is a much nicer looking rig.

The fact that the Icom is from a known local would help me give that serious consideration versus dealing over the internet with someone I didn't know.

Sheesh, I'm all over the place. Just had a QSO with KB5IPK on 40 meters tonight, and he was running a sweet sounding TS-530 on a "beam" delta loop and hitting me with 10 over S9. I really do like these old hybrids. I also like the noise cutting abilities of the IC-756 Pro II, and it doesn't sound as "phased" as some I have listened to. My IC-718 DSP distorts things so much that I just leave it off all of the time, unless I can just run a bare minimum noise limiter. The NB on it makes people sound like they are on a motorboat. I'm going to really have to analyze what my true wants/needs are, and go from there. 1000-1200 bucks is a lot of dough for a used rig, much less a new one. (To me, anyway). I can pick up a clean, recently serviced TS-830, and still buy a new Palstar AT2K for less money than that.

Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated... maybe I'll figure out which way I want to go soon!

Brett

I got to check the rig out on the air today, and yes... it's a really nice rig. Very clean, and comes with a Heil iCM mic. He hasn't decided on a price yet, but he's the same fella that sold me the Kenwood TS-520 I have. I jokingly told him I'd pay the same (125 bucks) for the Icom. :love: I will have to see what he decides on for asking price, then will make my decision. From what I've seen, the Pro II's seem to go for 1200 bucks, and the mic is not a big deal to me since I already have outboard audio gear.

Still considering the TS-590, as I really don't like the FT-1200, and the Icom 7410 doesn't really do it for me either. And gee whiz, I still REALLY like the hybrid Kenwoods, and found a real nice TS-830 with speaker and MC-50 locally for a nice price. Decisions, decisions!

Brett

Brett,

If I were in your shoes and the guy asked anything over $900 for the Pro II I would order the FT-1200 immediately! I'm going to have one in the shack within the next 6 months. After owing an FT-950 I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Yaesu HF rig. The FT-1200 will do everything the Pro II will, probably better and with the latest technology.

Reactions: 2 people
Brett,

If I were in your shoes and the guy asked anything over $900 for the Pro II I would order the FT-1200 immediately! I'm going to have one in the shack within the next 6 months. After owing an FT-950 I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Yaesu HF rig. The FT-1200 will do everything the Pro II will, probably better and with the latest technology.

I have looked at the FTDX-1200, but really don't seem to like the looks of it. I know that's only part of the equation, but if I don't like looking at it, I won't like operating it. Still leaning towards the Kenwood TS-590 as my "new" rig choice. And I don't have a price quote from the owner of the Icom yet... will have to see what he's asking.

Brett

Never form emotional attachments to ham radios.

Avoid buying from hams that have.

This fella is cool, and I think he's trying get his ducks in a row to make sure he is making the right step... he's looking at buying a Ten-Tec. I don't think he's emotionally attached to the rig, and from my past experience is very reasonable in his asking prices.

If you lived closer, I'd meet you for a beer to discuss the Kenwood TS-590. (y)

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.