• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on this interference "video"

Hmmm.

Grow room with LED lights?

Or rooftop solar panels?

no rooftop solar panels over here..

You know how a fluorescent light kicks on with 1 strike then nutting for half a sec then on... it sounds like that when it starts ill try to record the sound Friday when i am home it kicks on from 8 or 9 so i can set up my PC to record the sound

I've got this issue right now on my street - as soon as I turn down the street I get that same noise. Been trying to track it down for a couple of weeks.

Here's a story that may not make you feel any better and others on the forum may remember it from a long time ago.

A number of years ago (5 maybe) I had a house where I had no interference - beautiful quiet signals at night. Good size neighborhood with 80 homes and no above ground power poles.

All of sudden I start getting crazy noise - all the time. Goes on for weeks and I can't figure it out. Then one day it's gone only to return the next day for weeks on end again. Power company sends out their special guy who drives 100 miles from their headquarters to help. We use his equipment we think we track it down to a transformer box, but then he says that he's 100% sure that's not it...the noise is being introduced to the power lines from somewhere. He leaves and nothing is resolved.

I take my walkie talkies and small receivers and walk around the neighborhood - the noise is everywhere - it is super strong pegging my meters for around a 1/2 square mile area - huge range. After weeks of walking around I finally believe I have tracked it down to one house (5 houses away from me). Was super difficult to track down because the noise was everywhere in the neighborhood. The neighbor is nice enough to let me inside his house and once inside my radios go crazy - I think it might be the alarm system as my devices go crazy when I get near them, but then I walk into an office and the radio with squelch up is just going nuts.

Ready for it? It was a @!&*#$ paper shredder. I turned it off and the noise disappeared completely. The power supply inside the paper shredder was causing interference that traveled back into the power lines and through the entire neighborhood.

I asked the neighbor if he would be kind enough to just leave it off when not using it. One month went by with no issues and then bam it was back on. Luckily we ended up moving about 6 months later.

Now here I am again at a different house and I've got crazy noise again. I can tell it's not a paper shredder this time at least :(

ROFL on the paper shredder and i want to move so bad i want to get out of the city..

Well the noise was absent for almost 1 month and then on the 15th it was back! so today i ordered a MFJ-1026....

Reactions: jon666
ok i have it all set up now and i was playing with it before the interference started up. i found a few bird's scanning around and practiced with it and i was able to null them out..
Now when the static started up it took me a few mins to null that out but now it's working "sort of" as I approach 10 on the phase it started to null out but it seems like it can go more but that's at it's max? like it is not even dipping.

the Phase control is really sensitive and all most seems like it needs a 5 or 10 turn pot on it..

Last edited:
did you use a outside receiving antenna
or just the one that comes with the unit.
thanks

Well just got off the phone with the power company they told me there is a problem.. But it is coming from someone's house and they can't track it down because it is so freaking strong it is maxing out there equipment....
He told me they would help if they can pinpoint it to 1 person but can't because it is transmitting down all the power lines from some one..

Hello GOE: This response from the power company is total BS. They can't say were its coming from unless they probe the field of noise, with their noise detection equipment. Yes the noise does transmit down the power lines, it always does. The problem is that the noise will appear louder down the lines from the noise source, at times. The power company knows this and can trace and isolate the noise source.

Monitoring the noise with a CB or HF radio, a cars AM Radio, and a VHF 2meter radio will help to isolate the noise source. Listening to a weak AM station will help while driving around listening for the noise. The VHF radio will hear some noise, but at the VHF Frequencies the noise isn't as loud or strong, allowing another way the op to find the noise source. The CB or HF radio will hear the noise and you can hear it slowly loose or gain signal strength as you go down the road. I turn off the NB, turn down the RF Gain and monitor the signal strength vs distance. It maybe a help to the power company if you can get the noise source close within a few power poles.

Suggest getting back on the phone of the power company and reminding them its their power system that is making all this noise, and their responsibility to fix it. They have to have a crew who fixes these noise problems. Hope this helps.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

thanks
KD2GOE i have a new one still in the box. just havent had time to put it in line yet.i dont think the 2 footer they give you. wont work unless the noise it coming from inside the house

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated