• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Threat On NYPD Radio!

Yeah, it's all over the HamRadio forum. Can't blame the radio. Just another example of how something is turned on its head to make it seem as if the radio is the culprit LOL!
It's just like the saying, Guns don't kill people, people kill people!!! Not that I am promoting these radios. But they do hold their place if used correctly and lawfully. JMHO.

Reactions: W2EKG
My guess is that since I am sure NYPD uses 800MHz TMR radios that the the hacker is using either a stolen HT or he found a lost one. Long gone are the days of VHF or UHF systems with a simple CTCSS tone for access for most public safety agencies.

NYPD? REALLY?? Even up here our RCMP province wide including the little rural backwater detachments are on 800 MHz TMR with encryption.
Yeah I think it's a budget issue. Neighboring Nassau County, LINY just dropped thier analog simulcast. Running full P25 PhaseII encryption(Talk Group Key Needed). They received DHS cash to purchase. The Motorola Service techs are afraid to power up thier test radios just to listen, it's got GPS/ID. Scanners are worthless, no RX.

It doesn't take much to outfit a little backwater detachment, upgrading a system on the scale of what the NYPD needs is a significantly larger undertaking.

What I said was the entire province went that route and it included all the small rural detachments. Other places have upgraded in urban centers but left the rural areas on regular VHF/UHF but we did not do that.We did the whole province at the same time. All police, fire, EMS, and government services including things like dept. of the environment, fisheries, and even snow removal have gone that route with the exception that only the police use encryption. I realize cost is an issue but NY has a bigger budget than all of Nova Scotia too.I was just surprised to hear that a force like NYPD had not opted for more secure comms. Prior to our switching to 800 MHz encrypted TMR it was simply VHF with CTCSS tones. My Icom IC-2000 2m rig could access the police repeaters quite easily once you found the input frequency.

It takes time. You have to run both systems in parallel to work ou the bugs. NYC Probably waiting for a DHS grant.

Yup. We ran the old VHF analog system for nearly two years due to problems with the control channel on the TMR stuff and problems with the encryption on the police services. The old VHF system was left intact as part of the provincial grid radio system as volunteer fire depts. still use it for mutual aid and for linking to other services thru a control center if out of TMR range. The police have since completely left the VHF grid system however.

Reactions: W2EKG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.