• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thunderbolt 101

D

Dead_Metal

My father just gave me a Thunderbolt 101 and I don’t know anything about it. I searched the forums and Google but found little information. Was hoping someone could tell me about it and how to tune it etc.

Thanks

Dead_Metal said:
My father just gave me a Thunderbolt 101 and I don’t know anything about it. I searched the forums and Google but found little information. Was hoping someone could tell me about it and how to tune it etc.

Thanks

Your Thunderbolt 101 uses 2 6JE6 /6LQ6's and might do as much as 350 watts PEP.

To tune this amplifier (and any other tube amplifier) first, close LOAD gang (fully meshed or about 500 pf on a vacuum variable).

Set the tune capacitor for half mesh.

Place watt meter on medium scale.

DK 4 watts into the amp, adjust the TUNE for max output on wattmeter; do this quickly, key for 5 seconds and tune then wait 5 seconds.

After you have tuned for max with "TUNE", still keying quickly, adjust your "LOAD" for max output on meter.

Alternately adjust your TUNE and LOAD controls (still keying at short intervals) until you can see no more increase in dead key watts.

With your peak-reading watt meter inline, adjust only the LOAD control for maximum forward swing when you say "The Magic Word".

If, everything is swinging forward and the tubes are looking good (no red glowing plates) then, I would recommend that you talk on it.

I had 3 of these amps.Nice little amp will do 160watts give or take with a standard 4 watt radio.You should adjust your dead key down on the radio.These boxes get warm so you put a outside fan on it.They do not have any fans from the factory.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.