• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Time For A New Antenna Need Recommendations??

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
My Imax got struck by lightening a week ago time for another antenna. I am looking for a antenna that is a little shorter sturdier better performance than a Imax with 4ft or shorter radials that will work on a pushup mast for $70 to $120 which base antenna recommend??

DJboutit,

which is best depends on how they are installed,

a no radial imax2000 bolted to a conductive mast & coax run to the radio can be a nightmare with common mode on the coax shield, RFI in the shack but not always, you may not be unlucky,

i only get asked for help when locals are having issues, only some people notice issues even when they do have them,
i have cured several IMAX A99 & endfed no radial aluminum antennas using isolation + radials + choke,

a properly installed starduter mounted at the same tip height as the imax can out perform it,

have a look at what W8JI says,
https://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_vertical.htm#IMAX
https://www.w8ji.com/ground_plane_verticals.htm

Reactions: The DB and HomerBB
Is the performance better than a Imax??
- Well I'm about asleep on my feet tonight, relocated a 300 sq' storage unit full of 'stuff' today, and on very minimal sleep, but I'll add this:

Over the millennia... I've put up a lot of Imaxs, Stardusters, Macos, Penetrators, Sigma 5/8s, I-10Ks, A99s, even an AstroPlane or two & a owned a couple of rare .64s, a Newtronics Super Swamper/ Jam Ram & a Taylor GLR-4.
From Yagis & Quagis, I've even built a number of Quads - but I've never seen anything else in terms of a vertical onmi keep up with a good three-four 1/4 wave radial, 22' metal 5/8, (like the $150 SPT-500 Penetrator ) - at the same mounting mast height, except the 5/8 Sirio Gain Master I had, but it's temperamental, or "fickle" might be a better word when it comes to installing it near anything, and it seems to have a tendency to cook too easily & fold just above the base choke in heavy wind.

The NV4K was also an impressive performer but in an area with hilly local topography you might .find it a bit down due to it's mostly lower TOA - but great for local DX if you're up on a rise.

Perhaps if your setup is high in a tree, or a 4-5 section mast of which you're only using 3-4 sections for your 5/8 but can utilize all 5 sections for the Starduster M-400, or if you have a tower and can add a extra 13 or so feet of mast to get the M-400 up at the same tip height as a 5/8, it might keep up, or even best the 5/8...

- But I don't recall having ever seen it happen.

The good old Penetrator had/has one of the best reputations of any vertical, and that since the '70s, however, there's a school of thought backed by models & theory of which you've read, especially on this forum, which says the dipole should/could win - all tips being equal.

Back in the '70s & '80s when the band was very busy, the strongest non-directional ("beam") antenna stations usually had 5/8, the weaker were usually using any other of the myriad of non-22' metal 5/8 / .64 omnis w/ full 1/4 wave radials antennas.

Nowdays you've got a host of Sirio antennas which attempt to defy that old 5/8 logic by using shorter radials and shorter so-called 5/8 wave radiators and they seem to be well-liked, but if I had to put buck$ on it, I'd bet on the Penetrator in spite .of the theory books & models,
- or perhaps the GM or that gangly NV4K, if you don't experience high winds.

Be it mostly anecdotal, there's a reason the Penetrator was brought back, and it's not because they don't .work.

What is the difference between the Penetrator and the old Hy-Gain CLR2? Those still pop up on Ebay occasionally.
About 3 feet of height and the type of matching used. The CLR-2 (My first .base antenna, back in 1971) uses a lower power handling coil inside the base insulator.
It's a very good performer but not up with the SPT-500. It's a good run for the money against an Imax and especially a Maco V58. I wouldn't be surprised to see it equal the Sirio 827, if you keep the power down to around 500 pep.

Reactions: JAF0 and Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.