• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tower mounted FRS radio, would this be legal?

I don't know if things are still the same as they were several years ago, but it was considered by some (the PRSG?) that operation of the hybrid FRS/GMRS stations would require licensing in the GMRS service, regardless of which channels were being used. I believe that these hybrid radios were certified as GMRS radios, although certification seemed problematic to me.

As I recall, only channels 1 - 7 are shared FRS/GMRS, and many consumers are led to believe that these channels can be used on these hybrid radios under the FRS service, but that is not so. A GMRS radio is licensed on these channels up to 5W, and I think that is why they were the only FRS channels included on the early hybrid radios. Since looking into this a few years ago, mfgs may have released different hybrids that actually do meet the certification requirements of both FRS and GMRS, when operated on the appropriate channels - and that would often depend on which radio or mfg. Channel 1 on one of my radios is channel 8 on another.

I think there is action underway to change the definition of these services. One may be interested to read this - section 4:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-18116.pdf

Some of the proposals here may adequately address most people's concerns about power output and antenna limitations.

FRS Rooftop OK

Tower or rooftop mount of the entire FRS radio is perfectly legal if the only modification is to extend the cable for a headset. You won't have control of volume, channel, etc. Remoting the power would be OK if you don't modify the radio.

Radio Shack sold a rooftop unit, 21-1850, that had the entire radio in a magnetic antenna base and a remote speaker mic with all the controls.

Adding reflectors or parasitic elements is not allowed. Taking advantage of the tower or other existing structures to direct the signal is OK.

Radio Shack sold a rooftop unit, 21-1850, that had the entire radio in a magnetic antenna base and a remote speaker mic with all the controls. Adding reflectors or parasitic elements is not allowed.

You can do anything you want to improve the performance of an FRS rig, as long as you don't modify the radio. This includes mounting the radio in front of but not physically attached to a dish or reflector, or the use of a better quality external mic. The power output can usually be bumped up a little by using a slightly higher voltage external supply.

I think that the problem of remote mounting (say, on a tower) is that you need a unit with VOX capability and readjusting VOX sensitivity to compensate for ambient noise changes might be a hassle. 73s.

GMRS being licensed would enable you to do as you asked..
If then licensed for GMRS then you could use the feed for theFRS frequencies ( i highly doubt FCC would conplain with a GMRS license )

However Not having GMRS license then technically it is Not legal or allowed ( you likely would get away with it as well if you had a Ham license..even though it is still not legal to the letter of the law )

If you are to speak solely of FRS Frequencies and the Absolute Legal use of those FRS channels... In that case... No External Antenna or Mic is allowed..

However with GMRS & or Ham license it is Very Un likely FCC or anyone else would conplain or even know unless you used Crazy power

I use MURS as well as GMRS-FRS through my ham gear while using my roof mounted TriBand antenna ( and if to look at the letter of the law..then it is not legal on FRS or GMRS )

Years ago Rat Shack made a FRS radio that had a mag mount for the car and maybe 8 feet of coax. I have one out back but can't remember the model number. It only functions with the mag mount because the transmitter is in the base of the mount.

The wire from the radio to mount is like 8 strand. We looked into adding say 20 feet of wire to mount it on the roof of a house. The problem is the wire was expensive and the radio's were low powered. We firgured whatever you gained by getting the antenna up would be lost in line loss power.

I really wish these GMRS radio's had a removable antenna so you could add a 36" mobile mag mount. That would really increase the range but I guess that's the last thing the FCC wants is for us to have greater range.

Open that bad boy up and adapt a BNC connector to the antenna connection. I am going to have to bust one of mine open myself and see if it can be done.

umm, every radio i ever saw had a mic and speaker jack, even one i got from like 1990 something radio shack had a kenwood standard speaker/mic plug

one fellow here where i live has his frs set up on 50 ft tower with a power cube and a simplex repeater set up he had got from radio shack years ago. it works ok to about 3 miles from his house. he has to climb tower every once and while to check on weather proofing but he seems not to mind about it. he is stuck with using one channel. he didnt like the 1/2 mile and less range he first had with frs sets, but seems happy now. the town i am in is small so coverage is about all over town. and techniccally it all legal. i see the simplex repeaters on ebay every once and a while and ussually sell for more than they were new. wished i had bought a bunch of them. 73s midnight special

one fellow here where i live has his frs set up on 50 ft tower with a power cube and a simplex repeater set up he had got from radio shack years ago. it works ok to about 3 miles from his house. he has to climb tower every once and while to check on weather proofing but he seems not to mind about it. he is stuck with using one channel. he didnt like the 1/2 mile and less range he first had with frs sets, but seems happy now. the town i am in is small so coverage is about all over town. and techniccally it all legal. i see the simplex repeaters on ebay every once and a while and ussually sell for more than they were new. wished i had bought a bunch of them. 73s midnight special

Free software on the internet will let you have a 'STORE AND FORWARD' type
of repeater.

I'm not aware of any legal FRS radio that takes external speaker/mic. So, I'm not sure how you propose to push the PTT. I guess you can extend the length of the headset cord, and use VOX, but then you have to keep quiet when you are not transmitting.

Another idea: Is it illegal to put two FRS radios with VOX next to each other, and make them work as a repeater? If that's legal, would it be illegal to tape these two radios and mount it on a tower?

I am not understanding how that would work.
Maybe you can give me some information about this that would help me understand it.
FRS radios do no not have a provision that allows them to transmitt on one frequency and receive on another that is unattended by the operator.
The transmitt radio in this case would seriously desense the radio that was in the receive mode and make this almost totally useless.

FRS/GMRS antenna

Hello I use a moded ham radio with home made beams
on both MURS and FRS/GMRS range I get is 40 60 mi
MURS and 10 20 mi FRS/GMRS but I also live in the
mtn. of WV. MURS beam is 7 elm. and 14 on UHF.

FRS Radios?

If you stay with in FRS/GMRS or MURS channels.
And don't get stupid with power levels no ones going
to come get you! Use a Ham Radio VHF/UHF opened
up to cover them freq. cushcraft antennas has a line
of antennas ringos that work for you.

I've got far better things to do, and they involve Ham equipment.

Use your FRS for what it was intended for and get your ham ticket if you want to talk distance. Much easier.

John

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated