• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram 1499 base antenna

It's a POS!! It's only 3ft tall. Don't expect much at all out of it!! About like using a coat hanger. Your better off looking into a dipole in your attic or even looking at the dual firestick dipole. But IMO. I wouldn't waste my money on that TRAM 1499 antenna. You can't make yup for physical height of the antenna itself. A 1/2 wave antenna is approx 18ft long. The one you snow there is only 3FT long. Just a big waste of money. JMHO. Look into other options. Shoot even an A99 painted black doesn't stick out much at all. I too live in an HOA, but I also just put an antenna up and no one has said anything for 3yrs now. And it's a rather long antenna. But no one has said a word about it. Mounted it in the back yard onto the side of my chimney. Base of my antenna is at 27ft. Antenna is a sirio vector 4000, and is almost 28ft long. The antenna itself is. Anyways. Might try doing some more research. The firestick dipole seems to work for some as does a dipole placed in your attic. Be better than that antenna you posted IMO. Even locally.
Hope some of this helps. Good evening.

Reactions: Robb
Not much more then a fiber glass covered coat hanger. At 3ft long I don't see it getting out like said, more than a couple miles if that. Can't make up for physical length. Not at 3ft for a base antenna. A 102" whip and some type or matching stub woould be a better way to go. Or like I said, an A99 painted or coated black. Or dipole in the attic or tied between a couple of trees. Only things I can think of with an HOA.

Don't Buy It! You would do better running a coat hanger. There are some good antennas out there that are small..you need to do more checking around before you spend your money on Junk! Like I was told many years ago..buy the best antenna that you can afford!

It's a POS!! It's only 3ft tall. Don't expect much at all out of it!! About like using a coat hanger. Your better off looking into a dipole in your attic or even looking at the dual firestick dipole. But IMO. I wouldn't waste my money on that TRAM 1499 antenna. You can't make yup for physical height of the antenna itself. A 1/2 wave antenna is approx 18ft long. The one you snow there is only 3FT long. Just a big waste of money. JMHO. Look into other options. Shoot even an A99 painted black doesn't stick out much at all. I too live in an HOA, but I also just put an antenna up and no one has said anything for 3yrs now. And it's a rather long antenna. But no one has said a word about it. Mounted it in the back yard onto the side of my chimney. Base of my antenna is at 27ft. Antenna is a sirio vector 4000, and is almost 28ft long. The antenna itself is. Anyways. Might try doing some more research. The firestick dipole seems to work for some as does a dipole placed in your attic. Be better than that antenna you posted IMO. Even locally.
Hope some of this helps. Good evening.
I use the TRAM 1499 and it works as good as the Big Stick it replaced that went bad on me. This little Tram works fantastic and I even shoot skip with it on the days it is flowing. I talk to regulars that are over 30 miles from me with no problem for this little antenna. It was under 30 bucks too with shipping.

I use the TRAM 1499 and it works as good as the Big Stick it replaced that went bad on me. This little Tram works fantastic and I even shoot skip with it on the days it is flowing. I talk to regulars that are over 30 miles from me with no problem for this little antenna. It was under 30 bucks too with shipping.
You aren't confusing it with the 1498 are you?

It’s a No Ground Plane Antenna. $25 some places.

I bought one yesterday while at Larry’s CB Shop in McKinney. Bought on the premise, that, any antenna is better than no antenna at all.

Today I may have time to stop off at HD and get an extending painters pole to which to attach it.

A “better” antenna for my 35’ Silver Streak travel trailer, someday.
But nothing ar all felt chafing.

Got 30’ of coax from him while I was at it. Which can be snaked thru the plenum behind the absorbtion refrigerator from the dinette and out the roof vent.

I don’t lack for radios. Have plans underway for the pickup and big truck. Etc.

Figure I can strap the pole to an awning arm (that assemblage retracted) and get it fairly high. Not going to be a point of contention where I rent ground space & utilities.

As I’m home a day or two at a time, this start was appealing. There’s nothing “delicate” about it while stored, etc. And I doubt wind load will mean much the hours I have it up.

60A5DB22-41C1-49C7-BD36-9226814BCC60.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?