• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201A digital frequency display update.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's a cross post. Promised to post an update at Grumpy's Old Time Radio Forum. Shows enough added detail to merit a new thread, rather than update the "first look" thread below.

A digital frequency display for the Tram D201 radios would be nice, but there's a problem. The only displays that fit the VFO dial window are LCD. Black dot-matrix numbers on a green backlighted background.

Customers don't like LCDs. Neither do I.

Tried it. It worked, but I didn't like it.

But every LED frequency display I can find, since the 1980s-era PDC256 is just too big to fit inside a window that's 2 and 1/8 inches wide.

The solution, of course is to roll your own. Never design and build what you can just buy. Especially if it comes from China for less money than you could ever hope to build one yourself. The SanJian Studio model PLJ-6LED frequency display has all the features you need, but one.

IT'S JUST TOO BLOODY BIG!

Solved this problem in the Siltronix VFO by removing the aluminum front panel and substituting one made from smoked plex.

6HBpuS.jpg

Can't do that with the D201.

Decided to meet the solution in the middle. The 6-digit counter/display with the too-large digits is just too cheap to resist, and it works just fine. I had pc boards made that accept two 3-digit displays that fit the D201 window and then removed the large digits from the Ebay counter. My board now "piggybacks" on the counter where the original digits mounted.

J3R8zr.jpg

Naturally the VFO tuning capacitor must come out to remove the white plastic dial. Just be sure to get the end-stop screw properly aligned with the capacitor shaft when it goes back in. A new smoked-plex window replaces the original. The right-most dial lamp socket gets removed (on the left in this pic) and the brown wire spliced to power the one behind this side of the meter.

1UWFtn.jpg

The input cable supplied has two insulated wires, one black and one red. Oddly enough the black wire is the signal input, and the red one is ground. The 40-channel D201A will require a shielded input lead 22 inches long, spliced as close to the display's input plug as possible. The shield does not get grounded to the top socket of the radio's crystal board, but gets grounded for RF only using a .001uf disc cap. The center lead has a 470-ohm 1/4-Watt resistor at the tapoff point, to prevent loading down the crystal board's output signal.

9kABS1.jpg

A mask made from black construction paper will block the glare from the radio's meter lamps, and black out the area around the digits.

B0VbE5.jpg

The power hookup is no big deal, so long as the radio's 14-Volt supply has another 150 mA of capacity, more or less. This radio has our upgraded BA-plus board in it, with a much-larger heat sink on the 14-Volt regulator. A 47-ohm 1-Watt resistor in line with the power tapoff makes life easier for the 5-Volt regulator on the PLJ6 counter board.

fvuaxi.jpg

Here's the final installation, ready to use.

MVjhME.jpg

Looks pretty legit from the outside, too.

4KmNUi.jpg

No way to tell if this will ever make its way up to the status of "product".

Yet.

It's a bit labor intensive. Only made twelve of them, so they probably won't last long.

But I'd love to come up with the money to build a "production" batch of fifty, and sell them as D-I-Y kits to install yourself.

You never know, it could happen.

Had a problem with the production yield.

The percentage of "duds", that would go dark on one or more digits, or segments was too high. Removing the factory digits to install ours will damage the ultra-thin copper foil on some of the chinese counter circuit boards. The rejects cost the same to build as the ones that pass inspection. Made the production cost high enough to skip trying to market it as a DIY. Installing it in a radio here at the shop lets us run it for a day or more and see if it reveals a defect. If it does, the swaperoo is not too painful. Not compared to having it fail after it goes home.

If the reliability was better, we would have them listed on fleabay. Don't need the aggravation of buyers getting annoyed by stuff that breaks. Can't make any money that way.

But that's why you never saw it promoted for sale. Just couldn't trust it.

Had a problem with the production yield.

The percentage of "duds", that would go dark on one or more digits, or segments was too high. Removing the factory digits to install ours will damage the ultra-thin copper foil on some of the chinese counter circuit boards. The rejects cost the same to build as the ones that pass inspection. Made the production cost high enough to skip trying to market it as a DIY. Installing it in a radio here at the shop lets us run it for a day or more and see if it reveals a defect. If it does, the swaperoo is not too painful. Not compared to having it fail after it goes home.

If the reliability was better, we would have them listed on fleabay. Don't need the aggravation of buyers getting annoyed by stuff that breaks. Can't make any money that way.

But that's why you never saw it promoted for sale. Just couldn't trust it.

That sux!! Have you tried PCBway? Seems they make a nice product. They even do trial runs for the customer.

It's not my board that has the problem. We buy a working, assembled counter from Ebay made by SanJian. We remove the original digits that are too large. This removal process makes the SanJian counter board vulnerable to hidden damage to foil traces and plate-through sleeves.

This assembled, working counter board from China is the one causing our reliability issues. The boards that we have made are used to mount the new, smaller digits. Never had a problem with those, only with the counter boards that we modify by removing the 7-segment displays.

If I was fluent in chinese, maybe I could sweet-talk them into selling me the counter board before the too-large digits are installed. This would solve the problems caused by removing the original too-large digits.

Thanks for the reply! I totally understand. That stinks. I would have liked to have built a few if those.
Getting a 1 time product seems the way from our friends over there.

73'

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.