• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRAM D201a ON SSB?

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Has anyone ever used or are currently using a tram d201a on ssb? I've never used or heard one on the air. Taking into consideration that the d201a im inquiring about is in excellent condition. How do they sound on ssb. I know tube cb's aren't great working radios on ssb as I've heard many Browning (I own two) and thay just don't sound good on ssb. Are tram d201a 's any different?

I'd stay away from the Tram D201A's, but not because of the SSB audio. They have a channel selector issue in which the channel selector switch fails, common issue.... and they are made of "unobtainium" (meaning they are obsolete, can't get replacements), so you'd end up having a dead duck.

I have a Tram D201A WITH a working channel selector. It has other issues with it, but the SSB audio was good on it, just not a lot of power.

~Cheers~

I have an TRAM 201 VOX on the bench, the hand wired one.

Needless to say it will take A LOT of work to get it back in daily use.

I finally got it transmitting and receiving all modes and on freq, it will need major parts replaced and up graded, out of tolerance resistors and caps.

IF you want an old trashy tram just to have it for a collection then sure get one.

If you want a trashy tram as a daily user then expect to lay out some major $$$$$ to get it repaired, restored.

Reactions: Staybolt
I agree with ExitThirteen.
I love the old trams and sound good in ssb. But this should not be a daily driver. Those channel selector switches do not come easy and I have yet to find a direct replacement.
If you run it leave it on channel 9 and use the VFO side. Will last much longer.

The channel selector issue is a concern because replacements are no longer available. If you end up with a 201A that has a bad selector it will require some creative engineering to devise a work around.

Most everyone who ever had a Tram opened up the VFO for transmit. Doing so took a lot of strain off of the channel selector as it was no longer necessary to change channels- unless you wanted to expand the range of the VFO.

They can and do sound excellent on SSB but there is a catch: The VFO is going to drift, and drift a lot. Mine has an issue with the TX and RX frequencies being about 100Hz out of sync. My personal tech is a retired broadcast engineer with a room full of test gear and he couldn't get it right. I sent it to Greg Barkett and HE couldn't get it right. I've spent over $500 in parts, labor and shipping (they are quite heavy and expensive to ship) and it's still not quite what it should be. Research on the Tram forums state that even when new the VFO wasn't all that good. A look inside any Tram confirms that it's quite obvious that the VFO was never designed for transmit.

Over on the crystal side of things they are much more stable but remember that these radios are 40 years old now and those crystals have likely wandered a bit themselves. There are trimmers inside that can bring them back to spec but it's a very touchy process.

Other issues include excessive heat- something to be expected in a tube radio. Tram, for whatever reason elected to put just a single tap on the output side of it's power transformer, requiring dropping resistors wherever lower voltage was necessary. All that unused voltage manifests itself as heat. The placement of some of the boards, particularly the BA board insures that over time they will become brittle and fail.

Many owners of these radios bypassed the dropping resistors on the PA final for more power. This produced more heat. A common cure was to install fans on the back of the unit but doing so aggravated the VFO drift problem.

To add to the previous posters- yes they do sound good. I love mine, but as a daily driver it's a bit impractical. It is for this reason that I have put mine into semi-retirement.

Radios of this caliber are a lot like a beautiful woman. They are rather demanding and high maintenance, but if you treat them right they will make you very happy.

If you choose to add one to your collection, buy the very best example that you can afford. Try to find one that has the original owner's manual and schematic. The manual has a complete parts list and alignment instructions- not to mention it's a hoot to read- whoever wrote it had a sense of humor!

Footnote: Although Greg Barkett is considered to be the guru of Trams and Brownings, I was less than satisfied with his work. On the plus side he did turn it around extremely quickly - less than a week. However he doesn't work cheap and although I sent him a detailed description of issues he did not not address all of them. When I called him about the VFO sync problem all he said was ' it's a tube oscillator, that's the way it is'. For what he charged I really wasn't expecting excuses. Not saying he isn't a good tech, i just expected more from him.

Good luck.

Great replyes from all. Thanks so much. It's to bad that ssb tube cb's all seem to be problematic. It's too bad thay don't operate on ssb as they do on am. My sonar fs2340's performance is outstanding! I own three and glad I purchased them when one can be had for $100 (with a d104). I operate it every day for my am radio. I use my madison or Washington for day time ssb skip then at night the 2340 for local and occasional pm skip. No off frequency problems incredible receive. I'm beginning to believe when it comes to ssb tube cb's it's just the nature or the beast. I do understand that certain tube ham transmittters/transceivers made by company's like Collins performed great on ham bands (ssb) but I guess making a ssb tube cb of that caliber wouldn't have been cost effective. I own a sonar ssb 10 meter mono bander.needs caps realignment and who knows what else? Maybe on day I'll s send it to Mike's radio repair in p.a.. he recapped aligned and replaced three tubes on the 2340 im currently using and it performs outstanding. Thanks again.
The channel selector issue is a concern because replacements are no longer available. If you end up with a 201A that has a bad selector it will require some creative engineering to devise a work around.

Most everyone who ever had a Tram opened up the VFO for transmit. Doing so took a lot of strain off of the channel selector as it was no longer necessary to change channels- unless you wanted to expand the range of the VFO.

They can and do sound excellent on SSB but there is a catch: The VFO is going to drift, and drift a lot. Mine has an issue with the TX and RX frequencies being about 100Hz out of sync. My personal tech is a retired broadcast engineer with a room full of test gear and he couldn't get it right. I sent it to Greg Barkett and HE couldn't get it right. I've spent over $500 in parts, labor and shipping (they are quite heavy and expensive to ship) and it's still not quite what it should be. Research on the Tram forums state that even when new the VFO wasn't all that good. A look inside any Tram confirms that it's quite obvious that the VFO was never designed for transmit.

Over on the crystal side of things they are much more stable but remember that these radios are 40 years old now and those crystals have likely wandered a bit themselves. There are trimmers inside that can bring them back to spec but it's a very touchy process.

Other issues include excessive heat- something to be expected in a tube radio. Tram, for whatever reason elected to put just a single tap on the output side of it's power transformer, requiring dropping resistors wherever lower voltage was necessary. All that unused voltage manifests itself as heat. The placement of some of the boards, particularly the BA board insures that over time they will become brittle and fail.

Many owners of these radios bypassed the dropping resistors on the PA final for more power. This produced more heat. A common cure was to install fans on the back of the unit but doing so aggravated the VFO drift problem.

To add to the previous posters- yes they do sound good. I love mine, but as a daily driver it's a bit impractical. It is for this reason that I have put mine into semi-retirement.

Radios of this caliber are a lot like a beautiful woman. They are rather demanding and high maintenance, but if you treat them right they will make you very happy.

If you choose to add one to your collection, buy the very best example that you can afford. Try to find one that has the original owner's manual and schematic. The manual has a complete parts list and alignment instructions- not to mention it's a hoot to read- whoever wrote it had a sense of humor!

Footnote: Although Greg Barkett is considered to be the guru of Trams and Brownings, I was less than satisfied with his work. On the plus side he did turn it around extremely quickly - less than a week. However he doesn't work cheap and although I sent him a detailed description of issues he did not not address all of them. When I called him about the VFO sync problem all he said was ' it's a tube oscillator, that's the way it is'. For what he charged I really wasn't expecting excuses. Not saying he isn't a good tech, i just expected more from him.

Good luck.

Tubers are a thing of the past per say.

There are many HF nets for old tube type equipment.

It is nostalgic to put old tubers on the air, but you very rarely ever hear of them being used as daily drivers.

The kenwood ts 830 is my daily driver on 75 meters also. Hybrid Use the SS for all the other bands i work.

As far as the drifty swans, daily driver on the swan net on Sundays? Check your schematic, there are two or three transistors in them old swans. Just like the Siltronix's. Q1 and Q2

I have a 700 CX and it is rock stable, after I installed the stabilizer from K4DPK.

Works great AFTER complete rebuild/restore of the PS, replaced any bad tubes, AND any out of tolerance resistors found.

Tubers are Nostalgic, if you own one it is best to know how to repair them, as all of them will need to be repaired eventually.

Not even taking into consideration obsolete parts, band switches, discontinued transistors, IC'S, and FETS.

Just scan around the bands on any given day and listen to find out how many TUBERS are daily drivers.

As for the FT101?? More of them on 11 meters than on the ham bands.

Great replyes from all. Thanks so much. It's to bad that ssb tube cb's all seem to be problematic. It's too bad thay don't operate on ssb as they do on am. My sonar fs2340's performance is outstanding! I own three and glad I purchased them when one can be had for $100 (with a d104). I operate it every day for my am radio. I use my madison or Washington for day time ssb skip then at night the 2340 for local and occasional pm skip. No off frequency problems incredible receive. I'm beginning to believe when it comes to ssb tube cb's it's just the nature or the beast. I do understand that certain tube ham transmittters/transceivers made by company's like Collins performed great on ham bands (ssb) but I guess making a ssb tube cb of that caliber wouldn't have been cost effective. I own a sonar ssb 10 meter mono bander.needs caps realignment and who knows what else? Maybe on day I'll s send it to Mike's radio repair in p.a.. he recapped aligned and replaced three tubes on the 2340 im currently using and it performs outstanding. Thanks again.
Do you have any contact information for that guy Mike at Mike's radio repair?

There are some pretty slick DDS VFO's out there for ham rigs that are supposed to be rock solid on frequency. I wonder if someone could adapt one for an old Tram? Might be more work that most folks would want, but it seems do-able. http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/

There is also some arduino stuff out there that is experimental that would probably work, too.

Brett

There are some pretty slick DDS VFO's out there for ham rigs that are supposed to be rock solid on frequency. I wonder if someone could adapt one for an old Tram? Might be more work that most folks would want, but it seems do-able. http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/

There is also some arduino stuff out there that is experimental that would probably work, too.

Brett

That is doable. In fact Mike (Mikes Radio Repair) recently did this to a Browning. He has a video on YouTube.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.