• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram titan 1 info

MrplatemodulatedMA

Oct 3, 2017
Boston, MA
I was just able to acquire a mint tram titan 1. Anyone have a schematic online or pdf? Most I see are for the II+...i know the 1 is a rare bird and still can't believe I was able to get it. Trying to get myself familiar with it before it snows up..

Reactions: Riverman

I looked at what I have and do not have a titan I service manual. I have never seen a titan I branded only a titan 23 channel and then a titan II. it is basically a operator and service manual combined.. well only problem I just see is you are new and this is your 1st post. no way to send it to you until you get a few more post and you can get a PM. had to do some searching and found a link to where I got this manual

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tram/

Last edited:
Um, I gotta ask.

Have you restored many 1968 radios?

It's roughly fifty years old. You will find that some parts of the radio age gracefully.

And you'll find that other parts of the radio do not. Those parts may or may not work. Simply plugging it in and flipping the power switch is what we call the "smoke test" when a radio is this old.

If you don't get any smoke, it passed. Trouble is, that if you let any of the smoke out of it, you'll find that the smoke is expensive to "put back in", as they engineer types say.

Safely powering up a fifty year-old radio is a technique that calls for some tools not found in every kitchen-tool drawer.

If someone has already restored it, this won't be a problem.

And if everything in it is original, consider a 1968 car. Even if the mileage is very low, a lot of original parts just won't be any good after all those years.

Best of luck with it. I liked the original Titan radio better than the Titan 2. At least this one doesn't pretend to have sideband. The Titan 2 had only "pretend" sideband in it.

Reactions: Rodster21 and Sonar
I looked at what I have and do not have a titan I service manual. I have never seen a titan I branded only a titan 23 channel and then a titan II. it is basically a operator and service manual combined.. well only problem I just see is you are new and this is your 1st post. no way to send it to you until you get a few more post and you can get a PM. had to do some searching and found a link to where I got this manual

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tram/

Barkett has the proper manual and schematic and will get it from him. This is the 23 channel non ssb version.. let's put it this way the shipping costs more than what I paid for thes working radio. I have a mint mk2 Browning that is my daily runner. I might be new here but not to cb or ham. Thank you for your help.

Um, I gotta ask.

It's roughly fifty years old. You will find that some parts of the radio age gracefully.

And you'll find that other parts of the radio do not. Those parts may or may not work. Simply plugging it in and flipping the power switch is what we call the "smoke test" when a radio is this old.

If you don't get any smoke, it passed. Trouble is, that if you let any of the smoke out of it, you'll find that the smoke is expensive to "put back in", as they engineer types say.

Safely powering up a fifty year-old radio is a technique that calls for some tools not found in every kitchen-tool drawer.

And if everything in it is original, consider a 1968 car. Even if the mileage is very low, a lot of original parts just won't be any good after all those years.

Best of luck with it. I liked the original Titan radio better than the Titan 2. At least this one doesn't pretend to have sideband. The Titan 2 had only "pretend" sideband in it.

This is a mint working version from a well known estate sale. I'm sure the caps will need to be done at some point. My mk2 Browning I bought plugged it in and hammer on the original caps and tubes without a issue. I seem to get lucky with these things and don't end up with smoked out trash like a lot do. I scored my efj valiant the same way..200 all original and ran hard. I decided that one to get recalled by a Johnson restorer and was a 400$ bill. All I see are the 2's for sale..this one will not be leaving me that's for sure.

did you check the link I left you for the service manual for the radio. it looks just like the pic of the one in the link I left for you. may or may not be. so many look the same in those models.

Anyone know where I can get a power plug with bigger holes? The one that came with the radio are to small..i think I might need to hardwire a 3 prong in.

Attachments

• 20171017_174956.jpg
    20171017_174956.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 8
Um, I gotta ask.

Very good advice for this new member. If this Titan hasn't been minimally recapped it's going to I need that done. Even if he were to bring it up slowly on a variac, and was lucky enough to get it to the proper voltage there's very little doubt in my mind that after a day week or if he's lucky a month before the capacitors begin to fail. Hypothetically, if I were to get a brand new Titan one in an unopened box (nos), I wouldn't plug it in and turn it on until the transceiver was recapped. I can't imagine that a variac is going to magically bring back capacitor liquids (oil) that have long since dried up and evaporated. Am I wrong? Is it actually possible to slowly bring up a a piece of equipment of this age, and then hook it up to an antenna and expect to use it without something failing? 73

Well worth the $40 lol
Definitely worth $40. It doesn't look to be anywhere near something that would be considered an NOS. It looks nice and clean, but will definitely look a lot better after a restoration. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the chances are this tight and will need some restoration before it's ready to go on air. I've had some very minty pieces of equipment that weren't even as old as this one, and after a couple of weeks of operation components begin to fail. It's the nature of the Beast. I've never heard a tightened one on the air, but from what I've read it's supposed to be a very nice sounding AM radio. If I had to choose between the one or two, I would definitely choose the one. The whole double side band thing just never really worked out to my knowledge. Looks like you scored a very nice transceiver. Good luck my friend, and welcome. 73

It was tested before I got it..i needed to get a new power cable from alan..the one they gave me didn't stay in to well. I can't wait to put it behind 2+ 3-500z's.

Very good advice for this new member. If this Titan hasn't been minimally recapped it's going to I need that done. Even if he were to bring it up slowly on a variac, and was lucky enough to get it to the proper voltage there's very little doubt in my mind that after a day week or if he's lucky a month before the capacitors begin to fail. Hypothetically, if I were to get a brand new Titan one in an unopened box (nos), I wouldn't plug it in and turn it on until the transceiver was recapped. I can't imagine that a variac is going to magically bring back capacitor liquids (oil) that have long since dried up and evaporated. Am I wrong? Is it actually possible to slowly bring up a a piece of equipment of this age, and then hook it up to an antenna and expect to use it without something failing? 73

Got all new caps and going to do some of the 2 watt resitors.. thanks to Alan price for hooking it up for everything i need..rx is deaf right now but I will fix it for sure
It warms my heart to see there's other's out there who are willing to keep the glass glowing.
Some will argue that the age and fickle temperament of equipment so old isn't worth it.
There's just something about tube equipment that the transistorized stuff doesn't do.
And when I say doesn't do, I don't mean technically. It's obvious that modern equipment has many advantages over the older items.
But when you flip the switch or turn the power knob on, and those tubes begin to Glow it triggers something in side that Modern Gear just doesn't do (at least for me.) I hope that conditions will one day allow me to hear that Titan on the air. 735207-1508130828-fd2058494dd038c2b8566dcb896c44ba.jpg

Attachments

• 4638-1486664093-27e625a6153c6c1b00c4c83481584ac3.jpg
    4638-1486664093-27e625a6153c6c1b00c4c83481584ac3.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 4409-1476155913-1b4d4cf92899dbc69e2d589dbeaa3053.jpg
    4409-1476155913-1b4d4cf92899dbc69e2d589dbeaa3053.jpg
    864.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?