• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRC 448 who made it????

Zman

K9FON
Nov 26, 2009
Who made the 448? I cant find a marking on the board.

Attachments

• 001 (3).JPG
    001 (3).JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 86

They were made in Japan by NDI.
The PLL chip in that radio will cover a lot of frequency's, but you must be very careful when working on the PLL.
It is very static sensitive. It can be done but you have to cut the trace and add a 10K resistor across the cut so you do not leave the pin on the PLL chip "floating" and then control them with a switch to pull the pin high, or low.
The PLL is long gone and the only way to find a replacement is to get a working radio to rob out for parts.
It is a good radio, and if you have one that works I would leave it stock and just talk on it.

The service Manual can be found over on CBTricks
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/realistic/trc_448/graphics/realistic_trc_448_sm.pdf

Pretty decent much like a TRC 449. They are easy to convert to extras but im leaving mine as it is.. I like the big S/RF meter!

I had both radio at one time. Not the same chassis at all. The 449 uses the 858 PLL and I cannot recall what the 448 uses. But it isn't a 858 - that is for sure. The 449 is a better radio than the 448 - IMO . . .

Pretty decent much like a TRC 449. They are easy to convert to extras but im leaving mine as it is.. I like the big S/RF meter!

Not sure how well a 449 performs either.

Basically I have a 448 I picked up at a ham fest that turned out to have some issues I am working on right now. The game plan is to ensure it's powerating at peak efficiency and that's it; I'm not going to try to convert the radio to work outside of the allocated CB frequencies.

I'm hoping if anything it has rock solid stability on sideband and has butt kicking modulation.

Reactions: 1 person
The first radio i ever had in the 80s was a REALISTIC TRC and I cannot remember the #..

What REALISTIC MODELS WERE JUST AM?? (AM mobile)

I thought it was 421 but when i saw the picture i knew it wasnt.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.