• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRC-458

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I picked this up today from a friend. It appears to have a channel mod in it (notice the knob on the left side of the radio). I think the anl/nb buttons may be part of the band selection setup. I've had no time today to put a frequency counter on it and figure out the road map for it.

4952.jpg

Also, Here is a Link to Bennies Site, cbtricks.com and the Secret CB Series of Books that shows a 10 turn Fine Tune Clarifer mod for the TRC 458'

Secret CB

Kudo`s to Bennie for the work he does in documenting and providing Info to the Public about many CB radios.

Jeff

Just got one of these from a local that wants me to align it. Thanks for the manual/info - Jeff. Couldn't find it anywhere but here.

It has a Digi-Scan 400 VCO with it. Does 25.595 to 28.000mHz.
What about the PLL voltage?
Do it as per manual?

ALSO:
How do you unlock the clarifier on it?

Last edited:
Robb,

Clarifier unlock:

Clip or remove R117
Clip or remove D30

Follow the brown wire from the clarifier control to where it goes to the PCB, desolder it from the PCB, and move it to ground on the PCB.
Follow the purple wire from the clarifier control to where it goes to the PCB, desolder it from the PCB, and solder it on the PCB at the cathode of D44. The cathode of D44 should have approximately 8 volts.

In some radios, the brown and purple wires can be different colors, or you may have to reverse the wires to achieve the correct direction of slide. The main thing to worry about is that you don't mess with the wire that goes to the center wiper of the clarifier control (usually pink colored).

When you've done the above and you have confirmed that you track TX/RX, you're ready to line everything up to center slot.

CT4 adjusts USB/AM TX
CT5 adjusts LSB TX
CT6 adjust AM RX

Adjust CT1 to 7.7975 (LSB) if necessary
Adjust CT2 to 7.8025 (USB) if necessary

You should be good to go with this brief writeup. Just shoot me a PM if you have problems or questions.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.