• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tri Mag Mount

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Looking for a tri mag mount with a so 239 connector on top For a sirio. Cant drill hole F150 Lariet has to many ridges on top...

Thanks
Bobby

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Consumer-Electronics-/293/i.html?_from=R40&_sac=1&_nkw=tri+mag+mount

I have one similar to the one with the silver triangle plate. the connectors just unbolt and put in whatever connector you need. you may need to drill, not usually too difficult.
if there's too many ridges to drill a hole I don't see how any of these would help. they require a larger smooth area than drilling does.
they do work though, mine held a 5 foot fiberglass with a top hat. I used to aim for tree branches.
latest

JJD is correct. The sirio PL145 mag mount works well with the sirio 5000. It's plenty strong enough and comes with a rubber boot over the magnet as well which most mag mounts of cb type don't. Not too fond of the rg58 but if you aren't running power it's fine. And it's easily replaceable on the PL145 as well. I use LMR240 on mine. I've had mine work van up to over 90mph, and my mag mounted sirio 5000 has never come off. I run the highway a lot so 70-80 mph speeds as common and no issues after a bit over 2 years now. Just some food for thought. Have a great one.

I would drill the hole but with all of the ridges the antenna would not be in the center. And with my Wilson roof mount I don't think the rubber gasket on top would seal very well..

Thanks for the help gentlemen..
Bobby

are you worried about your radiation pattern or is just you don't want to look lopsided? the sides are so lossy anyway...

it would be very easy to make a 2 magnet mount to straddle the center ridge.

I guess nobody bothered to read that the OPs F150, like mine, has raised roof ridges so a single magnet mount won't have enough contact with metal to hold properly.

I guess nobody bothered to read that the OPs F150, like mine, has raised roof ridges so a single magnet mount won't have enough contact with metal to hold properly.
I wouldn't know a F150's roof from a Chevy roof without first seeing it...He just said it had ridges...That said, there's still other alternatives besides drilling a hole or using a Tri-Mag...

Here's what I did because I wasn't too keen on the idea of drilling a hole, and I'm not a fan of magnets.

click to make bigger
ta1.jpg

toy.jpg

You get the full benefit of being mounted on the roof, and centered on the truck...

You get the full benefit of being mounted on the roof

No you don't. Whilst you have good DC continuity, as far as the antenna is concerned, the groundplane which should start where the coax braid ends doesn't, its a couple of feet below. So what you have is a far removed groundplane which means more loss and not only that but more noise. If the top plate was connected to the cab with the post acting as a mechanical support you'd have the full benefit of a roof mount but as it isn't, you almost have no benefit of a groundplane.

Don't believe me? Stick an antenna analyser on it and see what the value of R is where X=0. I bet its a long long way away from 36.8 Ohms.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghutch and The DB
No you don't. Whilst you have good DC continuity, as far as the antenna is concerned, the groundplane which should start where the coax braid ends doesn't, its a couple of feet below. So what you have is a far removed groundplane which means more loss and not only that but more noise. If the top plate was connected to the cab with the post acting as a mechanical support you'd have the full benefit of a roof mount but as it isn't, you almost have no benefit of a groundplane.

Don't believe me? Stick an antenna analyser on it and see what the value of R is where X=0. I bet its a long long way away from 36.8 Ohms.
i have same ribs running along the roof of my mini van. my wilson 5k mount fits inbetween them. the sirio mount which is stated to be 5 7/8 ' inches round .b y sirio MIGHT fit
between mine .but im thinking it wont and will sit on ribs and not hold antenna.so i understand what understaker gone thru. undertaker i got a tri pad [tram] that fits perfectly
between them if this helps. .i think if ya tear it apart and get a so239 /pl259 you should
be able to fit it to mount. ive been considering it

Problem with the new F150's is that one of the ridges is on the center line of the roof, to put the mount between two ridges would require putting the antenna off center.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?