• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

true linear for am cb

HARDROCK

Mar 22, 2011
I WAS LOOKING AT THE AN-762
KIT FOR A CB AMP WHAT IS THE
BEST ONE ALREADY ASSEMBLED.
THAT WILL MEET THE FCC IMD
HARMONIC SPECS. OR IS THERE ONE???
THANKS TONY

THANKS TONY

no linear is "leagle" for cb (11 meters) though many 10 and 12 meter linears will work.

don't get stuck on watts though, 100 clean watts is always better then 300 watts class c amps that splater on 10 or more channels

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people
there isnt any

that are type accepted,they are not alowed on 11 mtrs.The one that are sold are modded by hams for ham bands,10,12mtr.Like mfj/amertoron or the RM Italy junk...the only good clean amp for ssb/am on 10/11/12 mtrs is Texas Star,not a splater box like tnt,dave made,x-forve,and so on...if you can find a good used D and A amp...maverick 250 or even a radier...stay away from maco and the others if you want to use on 10mtrs they sound bad,73 de JW

I've had good success with Xforce, Dave made class c for AM. Just don't overdrive them and they're fine. I've had good luck with RM as well. A 203 on a Uniden XL was nice and clean, just don't over drive them.
I've had a few Texas Stars, but I found out quickly they don't like much carrier or DK from the radio about 1-1 1/2w where the Xforce and DM handled higher amounts. Just my .02 worth

Ive never had a problem with my Texas Stars their clean and I run DX500 ampifiers and they Are built good aswell I used mine on 10-12 meters I run one every single day I recntly sold my DX400 that I had for a super long time that my wife ran moble years back but these DX 500 amps I have are lifers here and I will eventually be looking for 2 more of them for two of my kids for their 10 meter mobile setups.

Reactions: 1 person
I also use a DX500V Texas Star for 10-12 meters with NO issues...

Like other have already stated STAY AWAY from the Dave made/TNT/XForce They are SPLATTER boxes. If you can get your hands onto a ORIGINAL Messenger amp by all means do so..

Keep in mind CLEAN IN = CLEAN OUT so dont cut those limiters in your radio

PS. Amps are ILLEGAL for use on the 11 meter band

(but if you are a clean signal who is going to know:whistle:)

Reactions: 3 people
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't splatter with an Xforce??? Hmmm
Then mine are 6 years old

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't splatter with an Xforce??? Hmmm
Then mine are 6 years old

There is splattering several KHz away and then there is splattering somewhere else in the band or adjacent bands aka IMD. Only a spectrum analyzer will show you the real truth. A lot of people say class C is fine for AM if the drive is kept low and the modulation is kept under control and the distortion is indeed kept to a minimum however those amps, Dave Made,X-Force etc included, are still far from clean. What may seem clean to you may be a major source of interference to someone else on a different band altogether.

Reactions: 4 people
THANKS TONY

While illegal as numerous has already passed along, the AN762 is a AB amp kit designed by Motorola years ago. Its a good kit but you will need to add some filtering to cut down on splatter. If you get it from CCI you should get the 10 metre filtering kit as well and do slight mod for 11 metres.

Reactions: 2 people
If you truly want a clean amplifier, Stay away from ANY CB amplifier or and any amplifier using sweep tubes!! Even the sweep tube amps from reputable manufacturers like the Ameritron AL-84 and TEN TEC Centaur. Although their pi network does limit out of band presence, the in band still suffers as the tubes are being pressed into linear RF service and were not designed for it.

I like texas star amplifiers, however, they are not clean unless you run them at 1/2 the rated output. even then they are barely acceptable. Their problem is an unregulated bias circuit that when the amplifier gets warm or hot, the bias slowy drops from class AB1 to C. And if they get REALLY hot, the transistors act as switches and show an output that resembles class D!!! Dont believe me, Talk on one some time and watch the current draw from stone cold to hot. It will draw 10to 15% less current once it gets hot.

Stick with TRUE RF amplifiers. Best bang for the buck is the Heathkit sb220. an easy KW out and can be had for $400-$600 bucks. Dont let ANYONE talk you into removing the band switch and "optimizing" the amplifier for 11meter. Thats BS!! The heathkit has enough room in the network to tune all of 11m with no issues or loss in output power.

Reactions: 1 person
The texas star line is alright. But as stated the biasing has a lot to be desired. I am installing a regulated bias circuit in a 667V I picked up recently. I also had to choke the input down quite a bit to get a cleaner signal. Really the driver isn't needed. A 500 is actually better suited and more heatsink room for bias circuit. Specs are 10 W pep per 2879 for full output. And even at that, they don't meet specs for IMD. 25W pep for 4 2879's is about it and if limiter removed or super whack packed or the diode mod, they are pretty dirty. Meaning radio exciter.

true linear

While illegal as numerous has already passed along, the AN762 is a AB amp kit designed by Motorola years ago. Its a good kit but you will need to add some filtering to cut down on splatter. If you get it from CCI you should get the 10 metre filtering kit as well and do slight mod for 11 metres.

Very true statement. 99 % is the operator!!!
i want it clean with no distortion. i have a
mirage 36. that was butchered. 60 watts output
on a bird meter. wow some may think. only 20
watts on the fundemental freq. take a guess at
where the rest of the power went!!!! the radio
got sent back to chip @ radioshopsupply. and set
back to factory specs. the radio is smooth and
clean. with a 25-30 watt pep. the way it should be.
i would like to find a messenger. i have the davemade
m-80 driver. i wish i could get it into ab class.

Do a search here, there is a thread about making those C boxes into B without major work. I have a EB63 which turned out really good and plan to build the AN762 next winter.

I watched a video where a guy took a Wawassee JB-2000 and did some work on it so that it sounded good....but these amps are rare and hard to come by...and expensive for even old beaters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.