• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trying to make a simple T/R switch with a HH52P relay

Jan 18, 2017
Central KY
Im wanting to make a T/R switch so i can run my Kenwood R-1000 receiver in line with my station. For hifi purposes. Ive never made one before and this relay happens to be the only one i have laying around. Any help would be great

Im wanting to make a T/R switch so i can run my Kenwood R-1000 receiver in line with my station. For hifi purposes. Ive never made one before and this relay happens to be the only one i have laying around. Any help would be great

"This relay" .........care to elaborate on just what relay you have? Pictures would be even better.

Reactions: wavrider
you can use a relay and any old CB type keying circuit will work but there may be a delay and you would not want to transmit into your receiver.
Other options would be using pin diodes as switching to switch between the receiver and transmitter.
or use the key ground to enable a relay to act as tr/rx switch.
Little bit of research and you will be on your way to getting the setup as you want it to be.

MattSowders1989, If you need the pin-out details here you go:
https://www.onlinecomponents.com/datasheet/hh52pdc24v.aspx?p=11339974
http://datasheet.octopart.com/HH52P-DC24V-Fuji-Electric-datasheet-13119728.pdf
http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/SPEC/950/K1116454950.pdf

Does your transmitter already have an "External keying jack" like an RCA jack or something that closes a connection when you transmit?

My transmitter is actually a transceiver. so no, it doesnt have a keying jack

If you need/want to add one you likely could by finding a voltage source that is switched on transmit, use this (along side a small circuit of supporting components) to energize a relay that will be closing the contacts that are connected to your jack of choice (RCA/BNC/so on) or you could go the other way and have the relay configured so that it breaks/opens a connection on transmit.

Best Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: mattsowders1989
you can use a relay and any old CB type keying circuit will work but there may be a delay and you would not want to transmit into your receiver.
Other options would be using pin diodes as switching to switch between the receiver and transmitter.
or use the key ground to enable a relay to act as tr/rx switch.
Little bit of research and you will be on your way to getting the setup as you want it to be.

thank you. it would be a lot easier if this receiver had a place to hook up a trans
Do you have a good quality photo of the back panel or the owner's manual?
I looked at schematic and transistor Q5 drives an external keying circuit.

The back panel of what? The transceiver or the kenwood r-1000?

there is a remote jack on the back of the R1000 that allows you to do this.

here is a link to the manual: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/SCANNERS-F-R/Kenwood-TRIO_R1000 HF Comms Reciever_Manual.pdf

look at page 10, and you can see that you just have to ground pin 7 of the connector to mute the RF stages of the receiver.

so you want to wire a push to talk switch so that when you push the button, you connect pin 7 to the ground terminal of the remote jack.

basically you just need a momentary switch with an extra set of poles than what is needed to key the transceiver.
LC

there is a remote jack on the back of the R1000 that allows you to do this.

here is a link to the manual: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/SCANNERS-F-R/Kenwood-TRIO_R1000 HF Comms Reciever_Manual.pdf

look at page 10, and you can see that you just have to ground pin 7 of the connector to mute the RF stages of the receiver.

so you want to wire a push to talk switch so that when you push the button, you connect pin 7 to the ground terminal of the remote jack.

basically you just need a momentary switch with an extra set of poles than what is needed to key the transceiver.
LC

Still one problem left, how am I supposed to run this receiver in line on the same antenna since it has one coax connection on the back of it?

oops, forgot about that part of it LOL.

i'm afraid you are not going to be able to switch antenna coaxes with that relay.
you need something that is made for switching coaxial connections.

something like this: http://www.wimo.com/transmit-receive-switch_e.html

you might be able to get away with using a remote antenna switch backwards, but i have no experience in doing that and don't know if it would work or not.

LC

oops, forgot about that part of it LOL.

i'm afraid you are not going to be able to switch antenna coaxes with that relay.
you need something that is made for switching coaxial connections.

something like this: http://www.wimo.com/transmit-receive-switch_e.html

you might be able to get away with using a remote antenna switch backwards, but i have no experience in doing that and don't know if it would work or not.

LC

Actually I am pretty sure he could use that relay however leads MUST be kept short and shields carried thru. I have used Potter and Brumfield KHAU17D11 series relays for switching RF at 100 watts without an issue. In fact I did make a PTT circuit to connect my R-1000 to my Heath DX-60 transmitter using such a relay. The antenna goes to the common wiper of one side of the relay. The NC pin goes to the receiver and the NO goes to the transmitter. On the other set of contacts you need to wire up to the remote jack on the receiver so that it mutes when you transmit. In my case since the T/R control was fried in my transmitter I simply wired the microphone PTT switch to activate the relay and the audio was wired directly to the jack however this situation is a bit different.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Actually I am pretty sure he could use that relay however leads MUST be kept short and shields carried thru. I have used Potter and Brumfield KHAU17D11 series relays for switching RF at 100 watts without an issue. In fact I did make a PTT circuit to connect my R-1000 to my Heath DX-60 transmitter using such a relay. The antenna goes to the common wiper of one side of the relay. The NC pin goes to the receiver and the NO goes to the transmitter. On the other set of contacts you need to wire up to the remote jack on the receiver so that it mutes when you transmit. In my case since the T/R control was fried in my transmitter I simply wired the microphone PTT switch to activate the relay and the audio was wired directly to the jack however this situation is a bit different.

CK, were you using coaxial cable in your situation?

I also wonder if the DX60 being a tube type transmitter had anything to do with it working?
something tells me his transceiver is a solid state rig.

I have always been under the impression that the impedance bump caused by adding the relay in to the equation would be a problem.

seeing as how this was posted in the CB modifications section, i am assuming this station will be run with a monoband vertical CB antenna or beam, fed with 50 ohm coax and no tuner in line.

thanks in advance for any more info you can lend on how this could work.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated