• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Radios

CB radios do not have plate & load controls on the front panel. The controls are on rear and only need possible adjustment with an RF tube change. A screwdriver & possibly slug alignment tool is used.
I didn't consider that. That makes sense because those radio's are single band and I was thinking more of the vintage HF multiband radios where you do have to tune up with band changes.

That old beauty W9CLL posted is a prime example of a vintage tube HF radio. That Cobra of yours is a fine example of their better days.

If I had the shack space for a Browning Mk4 or Mk3 complete with the VFO and speaker, that would be awesome! There's just a real cool vintage vibe with those radio's that's hard to describe.

2012_5314_726-yaesu-901-amat-radyo.jpg

Not exactly the same and not 11 meters but this is my daily driver. It does have the coveted FM board installed. While it is a hybrid it does use 6146b finals. For pure 11 meter I always wanted a Tram D201.
Beautiful! (y)
I like the two "FT-101 clone" radios by Sommerkamp, "old school" cool!
The FT-277E
&
The TS-288A
I bet they are really hard to find; i'd settle for an FT-101E!

Well 11 meters was a ham band at one time[/QUOTE]

Yaesu knew that & figured they would not be blacklisted by hams. Although some hams were pissed, Yaesu won that round.

As for 40 channel with SSB, Browning Golden Eagle MK IV and Tram D201A. Both are expensive around $250 on up.

I was actually looking into something like a Tram D201A and the Browning Golden Eagle's ... if I bought one of the newer radios , I'd be paying just as much ... but I prefer the beauty , and the ease of operation of the older tube equipment ... so I'd rather spend that cash on something like that versus buying something that might fall apart on me down the road

Reactions: Riverman
I love vintage radios , especially the old tube type radios . So I was wondering , are the tube type radios worth messing with to use as a daily driver ?

And if so , what classic tube radio is the best CB for the money right now ?

I know it's not always easy , but it is possible to find a 40 channel tube radio , that has USB & LSB in it ... or at least the possibility of having 40 channels .

I also like the old solid state equipment too ... but I've been leaning towards purchasing a tube radio , so I figured I'd post this question here , and see what everyone's opinion is on the subject .
The only tube CB I've ever heard on SSB was a Tram d201a, with a 10-da Astatic. It sounded excellent! I've heard heard many Browning on the air but only on AM. Never have I heard a Browning on SSB. I think there's a reason for that. They're just not good SSB performers. I could be wrong. For AM my favorite is the Sonar FS 2340.
I owned four of them at one time, and I am partial to them for several reasons. Maybe I'm not the best to judge which tube radio is or was the best on AM., but Imo nothing beats the 2340. This is the one I use as my AM Radio. Have another if you're interested. Just ask. 7320170821_212633.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated