• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner desk mic, model identification request.

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Can you please identify this microphone that I am considering for purchase, thank you.
962083828_o.jpg

Edit: I don't see a split key model in the catalog below.

Attachments

• Turner_Microphones_1962.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Looks like a model 250.

The split-key is not really that.

One side keys the transmitter. The other side opens the squelch of a FM business land-mobile radio.

To make sharing a channel less annoying, all the radios on your "dispatch radio" license will have a fixed low-pitch audio tone modulated at a low level on the carrier. The receiver's audio circuits filter out this low frequency. Hence the name "sub-audible tone" squelch. A narrow filter in the receiver detects the correct tone for your radios, and keeps the squelch closed until one of your units transmits. Each separate license on a channel would have its own unique tone frequency. The other 3 plumbers on your channel won't break the squelch when they transmit and your receptionist won't have to listen to them.

Just one problem. How do you know the channel is clear before you transmit?

To prevent stations from keying on each other, the rules said you have to disable the tone squelch before you transmit, and wait your turn if the channel is busy.

And that's what one side of the split switch button is about. To disable the tone squelch so you can hear that the channel is clear before you transmit.

Mobile radios would use the hand mike's metal "hangup" button connected to one wire of the mike cord. A ground wire on the metal mike-hangup hook would turn on the tone squelch while the mike was "on the hook", and disable the tone squelch as soon as you picked up the mike to use it. And that's why you don't find mobile mikes with a "double key".

Looks like a model 250.

The split-key is not really that.

One side keys the transmitter. The other side opens the squelch of a FM business land-mobile radio.

To make sharing a channel less annoying, all the radios on your "dispatch radio" license will have a fixed low-pitch audio tone modulated at a low level on the carrier. The receiver's audio circuits filter out this low frequency. Hence the name "sub-audible tone" squelch. A narrow filter in the receiver detects the correct tone for your radios, and keeps the squelch closed until one of your units transmits. Each separate license on a channel would have its own unique tone frequency. The other 3 plumbers on your channel won't break the squelch when they transmit and your receptionist won't have to listen to them.

Just one problem. How do you know the channel is clear before you transmit?

To prevent stations from keying on each other, the rules said you have to disable the tone squelch before you transmit, and wait your turn if the channel is busy.

And that's what one side of the split switch button is about. To disable the tone squelch so you can hear that the channel is clear before you transmit.

Mobile radios would use the hand mike's metal "hangup" button connected to one wire of the mike cord. A ground wire on the metal mike-hangup hook would turn on the tone squelch while the mike was "on the hook", and disable the tone squelch as soon as you picked up the mike to use it. And that's why you don't find mobile mikes with a "double key".

Thank you nomadradio, your explanation really helps me to see what the business band would have been like.

I ended up purchasing, instead a Turner model 250 Dynamic "lift switch", I just have to find out if it's high or low impedance once it gets here!

Thank you once again, honestly I have zero experience or knowledge of the business bands; thank you so much for clearing this up, now I know why some desk mics have two keys!

I ended up with a Hi-Z mic element!
if your local grocery store uses a microphone like that I'd love to see what the rest of the town looks like!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.