• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TYT TH-UV3R Dual Band Micro HT Review

So, mine didn't come with the lapel mic/earphone. It's not listed in the manual as an accy, so Moleculo must have gotten a freebee thrown in his box by the vendor he used to sweeten the deal.
The belt clip is neigh unusable. It's not a spring loaded clip, and it's so stiff that I can't get it over my belt and it's really hard to even clip it to my jeans pocket. I suppose I could thread my belt through it. On the plus side I don't think you would have to worry about it coming off accidentally.
I don't like the volume control scheme.
Functionally, yeah, I like it. The case and buttons feel as nice as my FT-60. I'ma put a bnc adaptor on it so I can easily hook it up to a mag mount antenna on the wife's car.

I programmed mine with a usb cable. You've got to have the good 'ole serial adaptor usb cable.

When I first got mine, it didn't work. I'm wondering which version of the software you have and also if there is any way to tell what firmware is on your radio?

I used the software bundled with the radio - I'll have to check to see if it lists what version it is. I'm not sure if it will say what firmware I am using.

My software is Ver 9.01, dated 18/02/2009.
Haven't figured out how to check the version of the firmware yet.

tyt

HI GUYS
My friend has a number of these tyt radios and needs to find where you get a programming cable, also the software...any suggestions
THANKS
DOCTOR

Here is what he has

TYT TH-9000 and the HT's are TYT TH-UVF9 Dual band two different versions, and one TYT TH-UV3R.

Thanks Moleculo for the excellent review and tips. Finally I now know what menu #1 TX_SEL does! (unrelated) I couldn't get mine to scan in CH mode until I realized you must add scan to each channel using menu #6.

There is however one thing in error - the Sanyo DB-L20 will NOT fit the TYT TH-UV3R.
I ordered 2 on spec and they are much different. (anyone need them?) Best price I have seen is real TYT batteries for ~$9.

This TYT is a very nice little radio - bought my 2 from a west coast Canadian dealer (Fleetwood), very good service. Unlike my Wouxun KG-UV6D V2, the TYT allows some control of the backlight and it doesn't have to remain on while scanning. These radios will be super for kayaking.

Last edited:
use .dat file for TH UV-3r

Hi,

I have the UV-5R and i made a file that and with .dat. I cant use the Boffeng file for this radio. Can you tald me what to do? I have the softwer from TYT.

Thanks,
Oren

Hi Mole:

Was wondering if the RX on the TYT has the same 'barn door wide open' problem as the Baofeng - when using simplex.

The Baofeng will hear NWS freq on 146.520 - which as you know is almost 10mhz away - lol.
Just wondering if it has the same problem in simplex.

Last edited:
Do we know which aftermarket battery works ?

DB-L80 ?
DB-L40 ?

What are the physical dimensions of the TYT battery ?
Is the + terminal on the outer edge as with the Sanyo camcorder batteries ?

VK3FORK

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.