• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Under eave J mount for VHF/UHF vertical

HamAgain

Jan 28, 2009
For my single-story home, I was thinking of installing a Diamond X-200A antenna (lightweight) mounted on a 5' mast which is to be mounted to an under-eave J mount attached to a roof tail rafter. The J-mount is constructed of 2" pipe. Can't put up the antenna on top of the roof for a variety of reasons (read: wife :headbang)

Have any of you heard of such an installation?

HamAgain

HamAgain,
I'm not sure what that 'J' mount is. So, if it will support the antenna and mast, I don't see why it shouldn't work.
- 'Doc

Should be fine if the rafters are nice and solid. Don't put much more mast on it as when you add the mast the moment arm increases as does the force on the mount.

I've got about 10' of fence top rail as masting with a 17' antenna on that above a gable bracket and it's good and solid so that thing should be similarly solid would be my guess. Mine has another 10' section under that is also bracketed at a ground point too.

Thanks guys. I will post a pic after I'm done with the installation, which should be within the next several weeks.

Thanks for you reply Doc. I don't know how to post pictures here, but here's a link to what an "under eave J mount" is:
http://pimages.solidsignal.com/KAUEM1_det_zoomC.jpg

Such a mount is commonly used for small satellite TV dishes.

HamAgain (a ham again after 35 year hiatus!)

Hmmm ... from that picture it looks more like an "L" mount. Now if you took the picture from the other side, it'd be a "J"... :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.