• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980SSB Review

Darn good radio. I use an Astatic D-104 handheld with it and it sounds really good.

On AM, play with the receive (RF gain) to cut the noise down from the sensitive receiver in conjunction with the ANL/NB filters. I even use it on SSB sometimes if there is alot of noise. Works great and I really don't lose many stations.

Darn good radio. I use an Astatic D-104 handheld with it and it sounds really good.

On AM, play with the receive (RF gain) to cut the noise down from the sensitive receiver in conjunction with the ANL/NB filters. I even use it on SSB sometimes if there is alot of noise. Works great and I really don't lose many stations.

That is how it should be done. It improves the signal to noise ratio as the hash is cut down more than the wanted signals and contrary to common belief actually makes weaker signals easier to copy.

Basically if the band noise is showing on the meter you should be applying attenuation, wind down the RF gain until it doesn't and then increase the volume to bring up the weaker stations. Using a pre-amp just lowers the signal to noise ratio and makes the radio more tiring to listen to.

You might want to rotate the mic gain knob back and forth, and see if that fixes your modulation issues. The President Lincoln II's have this same issue, but it happens randomly.

My Lincoln 2 does the same thing. Sometimes when you key the mic and talk it has no rf carrier and no modulation until you just barely turn the mic gain then it's normal. Just a slight bump will do it. only does it every once in a while. Guess it's just one of those bugs. Glad to see that I didn't get the only one. Must be a production issue.

Reactions: jadocs
My Lincoln 2 does the same thing. Sometimes when you key the mic and talk it has no rf carrier and no modulation until you just barely turn the mic gain then it's normal. Just a slight bump will do it. only does it every once in a while. Guess it's just one of those bugs. Glad to see that I didn't get the only one. Must be a production issue.

Yeah, everyone I talk to who owns one does the same thing....weird

I like the 980 ssb and it works great out of the box. I had 2 of them go bad after 1 month. The one I have now I used base for a few days and 1st day felt the final and it was HOT! I put a fan on it and am now using it mobile with good reports for 2 momths now. Mike gain set to level 3 But 2 will work well also. SSB is dead on and am and ssb sound great with the RK-56 in the mobile.

The one I have now I used base for a few days and 1st day felt the final and it was HOT!

Hot or even very hot to touch is still well within the operating temperature range of the finals.
If it felt hot then it was OK. If you can hold your finger on it for a few seconds without getting blisters then its at a temperature is absolutely fine. At 60C/140F it takes 3 seconds exposure to get burns that blister. 60C is around 10-15C below the maximum thermal range for most silicone devices like output transistors.

Reactions: hotrod
Hot or even very hot to touch is still well within the operating temperature range of the finals.
If it felt hot then it was OK. If you can hold your finger on it for a few seconds without getting blisters then its at a temperature is absolutely fine. At 60C/140F it takes 3 seconds exposure to get burns that blister. 60C is around 10-15C below the maximum thermal range for most silicone devices like output transistors.
local here has 1 in mobile with 575 mike sounds great!!

I would like to hear one with a 575 mic, bet it does sound good for what it is. Best cb/SSB radio that is FCC legal here in the U.S., for the money. For the price they are hard to beat. And since they aren't powerhouses, over driving most amps is not an issue.

Reactions: hotrod
I would like to hear one with a 575 mic, bet it does sound good for what it is. Best cb/SSB radio that is FCC legal here in the U.S., for the money. For the price they are hard to beat. And since they aren't powerhouses, over driving most amps is not an issue.
best way i can describe it is it sounded like a bigger radio than what it really is

Reactions: 222DBFL
Get the 980, you'll be happier you did. No drift and on freq out of box!! And won't over drive most amps. It's a simple radio but with a decent mic they sound good for what they are. Not comparing it to an HF radio though as that is apples to oranges. For the money it's the best bang for the buck radio. JMHO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated