• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden does it again...

I have a Stryker. But, it's still my Uniden 980SSB that's hooked up on my dash, while my Stryker collects dust, next to my Cobra, on the top bunk of my truck.

To be fair, some golden screwdriver did monkey with the Stryker, before I got it, while the 980 has never been cracked open.

My guess is that this new unit is marketed to truck drivers. Of the drivers who still actually keep a radio on the truck, most of them use it to get/give information from/to other drivers within a mile ahead of or behind them. Usually, most radios come on when traffic slows or stops, and they want to know what lane to be in, and what the hold up is. This can be accomplished with a Cobra 19 and the junky factory coax. The "legal alternative to radar detectors" pitch seems tailor made to convince truckers to spend more on the radio than they normally would. Actually, I hope that it works. Maybe it will serve to keep a few more radios turned on; at least in the trucks operated by English speaking drivers, anyway.

Reactions: Rwb and LeapFrog
Stryker is too expensive for what it is and it has a control face that is about as retarded as can be. The menua is hard to use while driving.

What I want is a combination of a RCI 2950 and Stryker 955 in a Chassis 1/2 the size of a RCI2950DX. Quite receive, great am and ssb audio and rock steady stability. Controllable totally from PC and a remote mount face plate.

I do not care about rf output power if anything less is more so it can be pluged into a cigerette lighter/12V power port on a car. If I want power I am not retarded I can build an amp or buy an amp and wire it up directly to the battery. If it fails I still have my radio and can send it alone out to be repaired while still using my radio.

Too my way of thinking you would have to have more money than brains to buy a radio with a poorly designed amplifier built in using cheap Chinese bjt's, no ssb, no dual VFO , cheesy menu and crowded face plate in a huge chassis that does not fit in 99% of modern vehicles!

I am in my 40's and not a ham but want quality, modern design and compact package that is flexible! We do nto currently have anything like that.

Meh; I drive old vehicles. I prefer pre-80's, but tolerate pre-y2k vehicles. Radio size is not much of a concern to me.

That said, however, the last time I was issued a new truck at work, I almost took a Kenworth over the Volvo that I hate so much. One of the reasons that I didn't take the Kenworth, was that my radio would not fit in the allotted space. There was a cutout in the overhead for a radio that was too small. The Volvo, on the other hand, while having a similar overhead cutout, also has another spot on the dashboard. At the time, I was using my Stryker radio. I'd probably be kicking myself, now that I'm using the Uniden, but it turns out that those Kenworths are hard-pressed to get up a hill. Between that, and a couple of other things, I'd probably be very displeased with that truck.

My Uniden, however, I am satisfied with.

I've got a 35 year old Realistic TRC 490 base that works pretty well. I've got a Uniden PC122 that is used interchangeably as a base or a mobile. I've got a Realistic TRC 465 (Uniden PCC 122 copy) new in the box. I had a Uniden Bearcat 980 that worked great for six months before it took a dive. I've got a 25 year old Cobra 148GTL mounted where the Bearcat 980 once sat.

The older radios continue to work well even after decades of use. The newer Uniden 980 did not cut it.

In the Bluegrass State, a law exempts a licensed ham from the 'mobile scanner' ban. In recognition that many VHF/UHF ham radios can receive public-service frequencies, having a valid ham license will make your combination CB/scanner legal to have in your vehicle. Just don't leave you ham license at home.

Or cross the state line.

Yes but what police departments today fail to encrypt their digital radio signals? Even drug dealers encrypt their radio traffic and most of them also have the ability to decrypt said traffic! First they went to Motorola PTT systems in big cities but than shortly after that they all built their own digital systems.

I am just wondering who other than Rosco P Coltrane is using open rf traffic. I am sure the Government has given grants to everyone with a badge and a stamp to go to such system.

It is a good idea too bad they did not do that 20+ years ago when it would have made great sense?!?!?

Very good point. Our city ran a Motorola APCO25 system for years. Once a scanner was finally made to pick it up they updated the system recently when the re-banding occurred. Now the entire system is encrypted and so far has not been cracked. If it does happen they offer a 2nd and 3rd level of encryption for a price. A scanner around here is about worthless. Uniden should have done this many years ago.

I wonder... the literature states that the radio alerts you to activity on a relevant frequency (presumably to alert you that you may be approaching a speed trap). Encrypted activity is still activity, so will it still warn you? If so, it's still useful (until it's warnings have turned out to be the fire cheif, or an ambulance, or a narcotic detective in an unmarked car that has no interest in speeders, or some other non-highway-patrol local government official on that frequency.... the radio would become the boy who cried wolf)

Still, it's pretty nifty. But, as I stated on the other thread about this radio, I find it to be overpriced. Cobra has a radio that also claims to get around radar detector laws (29LXMAX... they found a different approach ), and they did it for less than half the price.

I'd be interested if the radio had sideband. And, if it was priced at a more affordable rate. The website hints at the trucker market; most drivers I run into, assuming they are inclined to even have a radio, can't afford that radio. And the ones that can, want a little more than the standard 4watt, 40 AM channels, that this radio offers.

I do applaud the innovation. I hope that Uniden keeps it up (Cobra, too, for that matter ). Maybe, they can come up with something that I'm inclined to purchase, at a price point that I am inclined to spend. I already have the 980SSB, and I'm happy with that, so an upgrade to a different Uniden isn't out of the question.

I wonder... the literature states that the radio alerts you to activity on a relevant frequency (presumably to alert you that you may be approaching a speed trap). Encrypted activity is still activity, so will it still warn you? If so, it's still useful (until it's warnings have turned out to be the fire cheif, or an ambulance, or a narcotic detective in an unmarked car that has no interest in speeders, or some other non-highway-patrol local government official on that frequency.... the radio would become the boy who cried wolf)

Still, it's pretty nifty. But, as I stated on the other thread about this radio, I find it to be overpriced. Cobra has a radio that also claims to get around radar detector laws (29LXMAX... they found a different approach ), and they did it for less than half the price.

I'd be interested if the radio had sideband. And, if it was priced at a more affordable rate. The website hints at the trucker market; most drivers I run into, assuming they are inclined to even have a radio, can't afford that radio. And the ones that can, want a little more than the standard 4watt, 40 AM channels, that this radio offers.

I do applaud the innovation. I hope that Uniden keeps it up (Cobra, too, for that matter ). Maybe, they can come up with something that I'm inclined to purchase, at a price point that I am inclined to spend. I already have the 980SSB, and I'm happy with that, so an upgrade to a different Uniden isn't out of the question.
Slim, if i'm not mistaken, it might be like the iRadar App Cobra made for the 29 LX MAX,
basically a driver logs a speed trap location by pressing a button when near one, and that info gets up into the cloud from your smart phone (which is bluetooth paired to the smart CB).

Using GPS from your phone, (and the data others have logged/uploaded) you'd get an alert through your CB, the info coming from your phone, all done automatically by the bluetooth link and the smartphone app. So technically the radio has no scanner hardware.

I'm not 100% sure on this, and i'm referencing the Cobra scanner CB app system "iRadar", not Uniden's method (which i'm not familiar with yet).

I hope we see a resurgence in interest of CB after the {hopeful} next solar cycle in a few years.
Maybe by then I'd have found a way to explain to the younger facebook generation why radio is fun/important. If it becomes popular again, I have no doubt we'd see quality radios being manufactured, maybe even luxury models being produced once again; that'd be nice!

Last edited:
Slim, if i'm not mistaken, it might be like the iRadar App Cobra made for the 29 LX MAX,
basically a driver logs a speed trap location by pressing a button when near one, and that info gets up into the cloud from your smart phone (which is bluetooth paired to the smart CB).

Using GPS from your phone, (and the data others have logged/uploaded) you'd get an alert through your CB, the info coming from your phone, all done automatically by the bluetooth link and the smartphone app. So technically the radio has no scanner hardware.

I'm not 100% sure on this, and i'm referencing the Cobra scanner CB app system "iRadar", not Uniden's method (which i'm not familiar with yet).

I hope we see a resurgence in interest of CB after the {hopeful} next solar cycle in a few years.
Maybe by then I'd have found a way to explain to the younger facebook generation why radio is fun/important. If it becomes popular again, I have no doubt we'd see quality radios being manufactured, maybe even luxury models being produced once again; that'd be nice!

Yes, I believe that your understanding of the Cobra model is correct; my understanding is the same as yours. That's what I meant about Cobra coming at the same issue from a different angle. The Uniden works by itself, and the Cobra requires a smartphone with a special app to be linked to it. But, theoretically, the end result (as advertised ) should be about the same; you know when you're approaching a speedtrap. Of course, the effectiveness of one depends on the local highway patrol to be using the right equipment, and the other requires input from others also using the app.

If I was fabulously wealthy, I'd probably buy one of each, and compare them. I am interested in their functionality and practicality. As it is, though, while I don't mind throwing money at this hobby, both are a little overpriced for me. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a radio with no sideband, lol. I don't even use the sideband much, on my 980, but it's nice knowing that I CAN. My main purpose for my radio, is a tool for work, that I find to be an absolute necessity. The SSB feature is a nice little luxury, that exists, not for work, but for my pleasure. It's a toy, just for me. That doesn't seem like much, but little perks like that boost my morale.

I'm with you; I want to see a resurgence in the CB, too. That's why these innovations delight me; I'm glad to see that effort put forth. They just need to hire some competent marketing directors, that understand that their jobs are to convince people to buy these products. And, while marketing to the base is good, they need to go outside the base to add to the base, because the base is shrinking. I would like to see some effort in that department, now, so when the solar cycle comes back, new folks are already ready for it. Of course, the radio has use, now, without it. It's great for real time traffic and weather updates. I usually know in advance if traffic is coming to a stop, and where to expect it. Sometimes, I know these things before Google does. I think that Google relies partly on 3rd party info, that's manually entered. The radio? I usually get several heads up, without having to look at a screen. Strikes me as a little safer.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Yes but what police departments today fail to encrypt their digital radio signals? Even drug dealers encrypt their radio traffic and most of them also have the ability to decrypt said traffic! First they went to Motorola PTT systems in big cities but than shortly after that they all built their own digital systems.

I am just wondering who other than Rosco P Coltrane is using open rf traffic. I am sure the Government has given grants to everyone with a badge and a stamp to go to such system.

It is a good idea too bad they did not do that 20+ years ago when it would have made great sense?!?!?

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/best-scanner-listening-ever-last-night.211176/

anyone with a smart phone can listen to the police all over the world right now if they want to.
LC

I have a free scanner app for android and listen in only when I'm at home. I get to hear police responding to gun shots in a near by area. I can hear them sometimes if the wind is blowing from the right direction.

775E92CA-3F16-4AEA-947C-9350BE6AD82A.jpeg 046CEBB4-9057-411E-9718-7378C8042237.jpeg B5D4BCA6-292C-4418-A7D2-32069394DE82.jpeg 9CECDB96-9B8D-4968-BDD7-D827AC5CB41A.jpeg E1762AD4-C82D-469C-A478-7A4164F99F42.jpeg Loves Travel Centers in selected locations started selling the Uniden 885 Hybrid CB/Scanner.

Had quite a few fuel card points so tossed in some cash and picked one up at Hinton, OK in early September.

That one had a bad CPU. Traded it in Florida for another.

Both GPS and Scanner antennas mount on the windshield interior.

The radio fits just like an 880/980 into company truck overhead consoles (though it’s substantially heavier; feels like twice). I used industrial Velcro underneath, and factory strap over.

Had Rays CB Shop install heavier gauge power leads for an RM Italy KL203P and joined to a common power lead with the 885 (and quick disconnect).

The Peterbilt binding posts seem to provide well enough for a 12A or so draw.

I velcroed my West Mountain ClrSpkr DSP Speaker into the center, higher, console.

Have played with a few mikes (stock, D104 ceramic, Red Devil, RK56, and a 636) the 636 at present.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated