• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL best ever who else thinks so

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
i gotta say really i think the Uniden Grant XL has got to be the best mobile radio goin. i have tried the President Hr.2510 which i must say is a close second,the cobra 148fgtl and 148 the rci 2950dx and nothing compairs to the Grant XL nice quiet ears with great sensitivity easy to use controls and a board that can be modified to go were the besty of the exports can go. add a continuos read frequncey counter and ur all set to free band if thats to ur liking. may not get a lot of watts from the radio but sooooooooo what we all know what to do about that too if you like. and belive me then exports that i have had been all tuned by the tuning gurues in Cb land all then guy recomended by the sites. not saying they don't do the job because they have those radios screaming but pound for pound dollar for dollar the Grant XL out performes them the most. and not to mention reliablity. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :p

I have a Grant LT. Got it from Uniden direct. Sold as a refurb--but it was in new condition with full packaging, manuals, accessories. 99 dollars with free shipping!

It does have a very good RX and superb noise blanker circuit. I haven't modded mine for xtras yet--I'll probably send it somewhere for that so that they can do an alignment after the mod.

FL Native said:
best mobil cb without a doubt.

on the other hand most that complaign about the exports usualy dont get the converstion done right. example not realigned properly. wich creates the efect of poor recieve ect.

I have to agree. Most of the common exports out there have quite good receive, IF realigned properly after conversion. However, the Uniden Grant XL and Old-style Cobra 148's are extremely good radios, to be sure.

Band wagon time , 148GTL/2000 (even though they stopped making the 2000s in 1993) all models up to maybe 5 years or so ago , I still don't understand why Uniden pulled the plugs on the Grant XL/LTs ? 3 or so years ago. You can talk all the tech talk you want , but with those radios you really didn't have to do anything to them for them to rx/tx with the best of them. Well .....I'd have to say most would make it to a radio guy one way or the other (-: but even still , just a little bit of this and that was all they really needed . The newer 148s tend to get a bad rap but I've heard some good ones on both SSB/AM , ( maybe my ears are not that well trained ? ) but they sounded OK to me.(Sound trackers were a waste of time) Radio Reddz ? I've always liked those HR-2510s ! I knew I guy that had one of those and it was the loudest radio I've ever heard on the AM side to this day , I swear that thing would rattle your teeth it was so loud and clear !!! Anyway ,I think nowadays for a CB radio AM/SSB IM liking the Galaxy 949/959 radios , for the money and the performance , I think they are well worth the money no matter what any tech says about it.

Yep, the best! Its too bad everyone bought into the RCI crap and Uniden discontinued this model.

People got what they wanted......I guess.

Well how does the receive of the Grant XL or LT compare to the Uniden PC 78 Elite with the orange lights?? I have heard that the 78 elite, even though it is an AM radio, has the same quiet receiver, and is on par with the sensitivity of the grant, what do y'all think?

I find receive sections in radios very interesting , though they say the Grant XL had one of the best , I wasn't personally impressed with it in my vehical , base station use was a different story. (I thought it was better put there) Now keeping in mind IM talking about my vehical here , usually a much different situation then a base station set up were power source is different along with antenna use. I personally did not like the NB/ANL on the Grant XL concerning my car ,(very close to the 29s/76s/78s/148s ect.) the same went with the Cobra 29 and the Uniden 76 XL , YES ! They all worked to a degree , but how they worked was a total turn off to my ear hole. I found them all to act like Rf -Gains while they were blanking out any noise I didn't need in my car along with making folks sound farther away and or slightly distorted at the same time. I've always found that most nb/anl's to always take a truer sound away from the way that others sound like, unfortunately , that is the trade off with many a cb radio. In my case ,I've found that most AM/SSB radios made for better base stations then they did motor car use,or I have found that some radios were better SSB radios then they were there AM counter parts. I've been through a lot of radios in my time and what is better then others is in the ears and eye's of the beholders , weather or not a tech seems to think otherwise. For anyone that is a AM only user in there vehicals and tend to have noise problems usually coming via the antenna's ? I would highly recommend a older/newer Cobra 25 LTD ,over the years I have found them to have the best of noise blankers in them without taking anything away from the receive that I personally can notice by ear or sight. When noise is a issue , I can still say that the Grant XL's on SSB are more then likely the BEST I ever used over the years !! but were AM and my car is concerned , I will pass along with the others I had mentioned.

Master Chief said:
Yep, the best! Its too bad everyone bought into the RCI crap and Uniden discontinued this model.

People got what they wanted......I guess.
just imagine a 2950 dx with the ears and sensitivity of a Grant XL that quietness with out the white noise and the ability to pull out those distant signals with clearity

I have a samlex 3amp power supply, would that be enough to power a grant XL or LT for base station purposes, or would I need a 5 amp power supply?, if so, how good are the radio shack 5 amp power supplies?, I'll take other recommendations for power supplies also.

one other thing, according to the manual, the LT specs state that current drain requirements is : TX- AM full modulation is 2.2 amps, and SSB 120 watts (?????), PEP output, 2 amps, so will my samlex 3 amp power supply be adequate??, this is not an export, or dual final radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.