• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL problem

caspear1978

Jan 8, 2009
Ok for starters my name is Mark and i dont know to much about CBs, so that is why i am here, to hopefully figure out what is wrong with my radio,,,, for starters its a uniden grant xl, i bought it used with a few mods already done, all i did was plug it in and start talking, well one day my mic messed up on me to where i couldnt transmit, i changed the mic and changed the antenna and still nothing, i can hear every one fine my meter jumps up like im transmitting and others radio meters jump up like they are receiveing me but all they hear from my radio is static, this is before and after changings mics, i was wondering if any one has had this same problems or something close, i do like the radio, it got some distence to it, i live in northern minnesota and even with the mine hills around here it still got out good being on the car,,,, ive had guys tell me they wanted it because it sounded good to them from a some distince off, if any one could guide me in the right way it would be great i miss useing my radio and look forward to getting it back up and running,,,,,,,,,,mark

I would look at the wiring in the mic see if someone or your self can take off the end and make sure all wires are attached then look behind the back cover to make sure the wires are connected there. look on cb tricks to see if it is wired right. If all that checks out it might be a loose wire on the inside of your radio if you aren't to familiar with the inside see your local tech

sound like audio chip to me. Easy way to tell is plug in speaker to P.A. plug in the back then put it on P.A. , if you hear yourself ? then it's not the chip, if you don't ? chances are it's the chip. Have you tired it on SSB ? there's a AM voltage regulator that goes bad on those as well but SSB will continue to work.

Your Grant XL is a fine radio and fairly cheap to have repaired. With that perticular CB radio, it would be worth it because it's a very good RX/TXing rigs that were ever made for a cb radio. Good luck to you.

Turn the mike gain all the way off and see if others still hear static. If so I would check the antenna system a little closer especially if it is a magnetic mount.
The PA test will/should eliminate the audio chip. You didn't mention if you had checked the SWR either. One thing you need to make sure of that it is low.

BC

I dont know about farly cheap to fix.

I don't know about Farly cheap to fix. My buddy hook his up backwards and blow a chip and a diod in his radio and it was a 60 $ mistake on his part , it sounds like a mic issue to me he has mic wire problems all the time on the mic plug in , if there yant on a lot.

ok did the pa test heard my self clear put it on lsb and my bro in law heard me on his hand held cb from about 1 to 2 miles away but couldnt hear me any time i switched back to am. tried usb and the same thing could hear me but not when i went back to am, the antenna system is fine also changed to a diff antenna and still the same,, so where would i find the AM voltage regulator on this rig,,,, im getting braver by the day and am willing to give it a shot if i can find it and the locate a new part for it, all the tips and help i have received have got me on the right track because on the inside of the radio some one has done some work and has added an eprom chip that has james brown singing on it when you first key the mic, i have been told by a couple of freinds that they hear the james brown bit but not me talking, im not sure as to what all has been done to this rig but it was working great till the mic wires messed up on me, ive redone the mic plug and its still the same when i try both mics now, still a bit of static but no voice, if it is the AM voltage regulator how hard are they to fix,,,, if they are not that hard where can i find one at to replace the bad one,,,,,,thanks mark

ok did the pa test heard my self clear put it on lsb and my bro in law heard me on his hand held cb from about 1 to 2 miles away but couldnt hear me any time i switched back to am. tried usb and the same thing could hear me but not when i went back to am, the antenna system is fine also changed to a diff antenna and still the same,, so where would i find the AM voltage regulator on this rig,,,, im getting braver by the day and am willing to give it a shot if i can find it and the locate a new part for it, all the tips and help i have received have got me on the right track because on the inside of the radio some one has done some work and has added an eprom chip that has james brown singing on it when you first key the mic, i have been told by a couple of freinds that they hear the james brown bit but not me talking, im not sure as to what all has been done to this rig but it was working great till the mic wires messed up on me, ive redone the mic plug and its still the same when i try both mics now, still a bit of static but no voice, if it is the AM voltage regulator how hard are they to fix,,,, if they are not that hard where can i find one at to replace the bad one,,,,,,thanks mark

I'd bet the toy is bad if they can hear it but not you clearly. Since the toy can take over the transmit and recieve portion. I'd try to bypass the toy and see if the radio works properly then. Disconnect the power to the toy and see if it clears the transmit up.

The toy could be something to think about ? but it sounds like your AM regulator all the same. Easy fix :) You have better replacement parts for it as well ......GE-66 / ECG-152 / NTE-152 / SK 3197 / Radio shack 276-2020 will all work. Just remove it from the chassis , clean the heat sink compound off the wall , take the part out of the little board and replace with the new one the same way. Get some new heat sink compound and put a nice amount on the back of the new part and reinstall on the chassis. There should be a isolator of sorts under the part before the chassis , use it.
img4785ld1.jpg

Since he can hear himself using the PA and the noise toys transmits audio I would assume (I hate doing that) the audio chip is okay. I would agree that the noise toy itself is the problem. As suggested, removing power from it may verify it is defective, but I'd use a jumper wire across the audio input/output of it and 'remove' it completely from the circuit while testing.

seems like its a pretty simple fix if its the am voltage reg ,,,, ill look into the the voice box and the james brown thing and give it all a shot,,, from the sounds of all the hints and tips on here its all pretty easy to do and ill look into it all in the next few days, ill get back on here and let everyone know how it all works out when its all said and done, thank you all for the help so far and i look forward to getting more knowledge on all of this,,,, thanks again everyone

Switch i am just curious if the james brown toy sounds fine then wouldn't it be the toy not letting his voice through. I'm not doubting you just would like to know does the toy have its own regulator
I said he could look into the noise toy . IM only going on what he said , trans fine on SSB , none on AM , as far as the toy goes , I haven't a clue unless I saw it and how it was wired, if it doesn't knock out his audio on SSB it shouldn't on AM , IM only going on the a b c's of it souding like it's the AM regulator , it's a known problem over the years with those chassis as well as 148s / cobra 2000s .

IM no guru , just trying to help the guy. It's a 2 dollar part. What does he have to lose here ? and then there always the radio tech that he could take it to and pay him to do it. Then I think he would be looking at 20 times that and maybe more. For all I know ? you could be right ? Noise toys run on very little amperage at all , usually three wires , Pos-Grd-audio , they can be wired for key ups or they can be wired on a button or switch.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.