• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden PRO510XL tune and peak how to

anixon

Jun 11, 2006
nj
what can i do to a 510 to peak it up. also is there a way to add talkback without a pa system. any help
thanks
al

help
just clip the d14.(right) L5 just spead the copper wire. L6 is marked on board by final, but it must be the pot full of wax correct. if so just heat wax to remove it.
let me know
thanks
al

L6 and L5 are AM power / D-14 is mod limiter . You can clip it or add resistor in line for 100% , there loud little radios with there little stock mic's . Talkback , should be able to take 100 ohm or lower resistor ,solder from receive pin (4) on the mic jack to board ground , this should give you talkback , the lower the resistor ,the louder it will be. ...........Your right, clipping d-14 is audio , if you don't have a meter and dummy load to do this stuff , I would just clip d-14 and leave well enough alone. D-14 will make the radio louder and the pep swing will be automatic after that. If you have a meter and you can tell what the power is ? Take it up and back it off a bit from there. Theres' no need to bore it out. Those are good RX/TX little radios . if your not sure ? just clip D-14 and be done with it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
i have a meter. but your saying to just leave L6 alone. just clip D14. i just did front panel off and i see there is no way of putting blue lite in it.

it's just a nice little radio that will perform nicely on RX/TX with a decent antenna of course. You can and see what it gives you , if not , just leave well enough alone. You should be very surprised on the audio with just the stock mic. There ballzee little radios.

In most cases clipping a radio is not what you want. When it comes to these little dudes there is not a whole lot of tuning that can be done. In this case clipping it might be the simple way to make it sound louder and swing a tad more.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
If you clip it and go with a power mic, just check your audio so you don't sound horrible.

I ran a 520XL for a long time in one of my cars and it was an audio monster for sure. Great sounding rigs if you keep your ham fist off the mic gain after clipping them.

When sun cycle was at a peak years ago I could regularly talk AM skip on the 4W or so it was putting out due to the loud audio.

Tune them up to match with a TS250 and you have a fairly stealth little monster of an AM rig.

Might be my favorite AM only rig, particularly because it is so small.

SR385 said:
If you clip it and go with a power mic, just check your audio so you don't sound horrible.

I put a resistor in series with the diode. It brought the modulation up without overdriving it. Tuned the final to 8 watt key and 20 watt swing. Good on the bike with helmet mike setup.

Reactions: NZ8N
Not to bring up an old post, but not to start a new one either on an already asked topic...

I just picked up one of these Pro 510XL's yesterday, new in the box, never used. Not sure how old it is, but I have read there is an older Pro 510XL and there is a newer one.

I don't know which one mine is but I do know it is a Philippines model. (I'm presuming the newer models are Chinese made?)

Anyways I've never been a fan of clipping the modulation limiter diode. I'm wondering if anyone has ever taken one of these little radios and just ran a power mic on it and left everything else inside the radio in tact? If so what power mic did you use?

I put a resistor in series with the diode. It brought the modulation up without overdriving it. Tuned the final to 8 watt key and 20 watt swing. Good on the bike with helmet mike setup.

Hardhead, that is one thing I have wondered....is if it would be better to run a resistor as opposed to just clipping the diode? How did you run the resistor inline with the diode? And also what size resistor did you use?

Reactions: NZ8N

I ran a 520XL for a long time in one of my cars and it was an audio monster for sure. Great sounding rigs if you keep your ham fist off the mic gain after clipping them.

When sun cycle was at a peak years ago I could regularly talk AM skip on the 4W or so it was putting out due to the loud audio.

Tune them up to match with a TS250 and you have a fairly stealth little monster of an AM rig.

This is the first and only time anyone has ever called the 510 or 520 an Audio Monster. :laugh: I guess my Uniden Grant must be reclassified as 10X Super Deluxe Classified Audio Monster.

Last edited:
power mics seem like a great solution for these radios. however they never seem to work very well with them. at least not without modding the mic

clip. and peak. put covers back on

If you clip it and go with a power mic, just check your audio so you don't sound horrible...

Strange. Never thought I'd see advice like this on these (of all) forums. Clipping the limiter while, yes, will make you sound louder, will also make you sound like garbage, and bleed across mulitiple channels.

And don't even get me started on the fact that your neighbors are about to get to know you well. Add an amp, and the men in black might even pay a visit to your door.

Clip the limiter? EPIC FAIL. :eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?