• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unknown Device Identification

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Hello everyone, I recently went to a ham fest and bought this item.
I think it is a pre-amp, although I have no info on it.
[photo="medium"]4314[/photo] .
The little red wire has a spade terminalone end, a switch is seen on the unit, & on the opposite end an indicator led.
[photo="medium"]4315[/photo] .

I see two transistors, a small relay and some passive components, also a few coils.
Thank You.

-LeapFrog

I believe that is used to key a linear. Not all radios have a direct key up signal line.
The incoming RF is used to trigger the relay which in turn keys the amp.
If it is a pre-amp it would not be very selective and amplify everything including noise.

Reactions: LeapFrog
I believe that is used to key a linear. Not all radios have a direct key up signal line.
The incoming RF is used to trigger the relay which in turn keys the amp.
The red wire has me thinking you are correct! So it runs purely off of RF from what I see, if that's the case the voltage applied to the red wire would be minimal correct (just enough to trigger the internal relay on the amplifier)?

Unless the red wire is a V.cc / V.in line to power the unit?

The red wire has me thinking you are correct! So it runs purely off of RF from what I see, if that's the case the voltage applied to the red wire would be minimal correct (just enough to trigger the internal relay on the amplifier)?

Unless the red wire is a V.cc / V.in line to power the unit?
I did not see any electrolytic capacitors to filter DC power. To key certain amps you just take one side of the jack to ground.

Last edited:
Well I get a solid 3.6mV on the red wire when I send some rf through this thing, the red l.e.d. never lit up, and I did not get continuity between ground and the wire..

Seems too complicated to key an amplifier. That can be done with 1 transistor a diode and a 2 caps.

The switch on the front makes me think it could be a filter of some kind or a preamp. One transistor for amplification and the other as part of the RF sniffer to switch this thing out of line when you transmit. If it were a filter I can't see the need for 2 transistors .

Has a power wire to switch the relay once the sense line shifts the receive amp out of circuit when output RF is applied. The coils onboard are part of a filter to eliminate unnecessary freq amplification (outside of 11m?). Since the power wire is external, I'll guess that it require a 12v source.

More:
Black diode is a protection diode for the relay
Relay needs 12v
It should have a cap in there; I agree

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.