• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using Bose Soundock as external speakers possible?

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
I have a Bose Soundock powered speaker system that I used to use when I had an iphone 4s many moons ago.

Was wondering if I can plug this directly into the back of the Ranger 2970N4 and use it as a powered speaker?

Cheers

Cheers , thanks. It works, but when I turn of the radio, the Soundock makes a hum noise, is it because perhaps the 3.5mm jack Im using to connect radio to the soundock is made for stereo? I should get a mono 3.5 jack right?

Yes that is the problem. What you are effectively doing is connecting a long wire (the ground wire) to one channel (right channel) and that is acting s an antenna creating a HUMMMMMMMMMM . If you have ever heard a guitar amp HUMMMMMM as a cord is plugged in slowly or has a bad connection it is basically the same thing.

Yes that is the problem. What you are effectively doing is connecting a long wire (the ground wire) to one channel (right channel) and that is acting s an antenna creating a HUMMMMMMMMMM . If you have ever heard a guitar amp HUMMMMMM as a cord is plugged in slowly or has a bad connection it is basically the same thing.

Oh yeah, definately remember the sound of a guitar amp hum. So buying a mono 3.5" jack will sort it out I feel

You already have a mono jack on the cable from the radio do you not? You will need a mono to stereo adapter. The stereo end goes to the Bose Soundock.

The 3.5" jack extension cable that came with the Soundock is stereo, I was refering to the actual wire that connects the speaker to radio, currently its of the stereo variant, need to get the mono version of the cable.

The 3.5" jack extension cable that came with the Soundock is stereo, I was refering to the actual wire that connects the speaker to radio, currently its of the stereo variant, need to get the mono version of the cable.

OK I was thinking that there was a jack on the Bose and not a cable out of it. In that case you need a stereo to mono adapter. The female end that goes on the end of the Bose cable needs to be stereo and the male end that goes into the radio needs to be mono.

Both ends of the 3.5mm jack are male and stereo variant, I just took a piccy. I think I just need same cable , mono version.
IMG_20170720_211658.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.