• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF question?

masterpatfx

Mar 24, 2013
Hi!

I have a Puxing PX-888K VHF/UHF Radio.

I live in Malta and tried to scan the local ATC Tower, which has numerous frequencies ranging from 118.000 - 135.100 MHz.

The radio that I have ranges from 134-174 Mhz (VHF).

So I can only reach one frequency of the ATC Tower, which is 135.100MHz.

The problem is that I can't listen very well to this, the voices are very low and there is a lot of noise :(

Why is this happening (I can listen to other frequencies like Police perfectly...)? Could it be because it is a low frequency?

Sorry if my question is not clear, but I am a total BEGINNER in this :(

Thanks for all the help guys!!! :)

While your radio's sesitivity may be slightly lower at the extreme ends of it's receiving frequency range, I think the difference in reception is probably because of a combination of factors. Those factors include antenna locations, both yours and theirs, the typical differences in terrain, and other features I'm not aware of. VHF is different than UHF in it's characteristics so that could have some barring on it too. If you are nearer to the airport do you hear that one frequency better? Are the voices more understandable? I should say that I am not familiar with your radios abilities so keep that in mind.
- 'Doc

Thanks for your reply :)

Today I went to the airport, but there was no difference (or maybe a VERY slight difference, which makes the voice a bit more understandable, but not that I could make out what they said).

Pretty sure that airband is AM. My Kenwood can pick it up, although I have never tried, but automatically switches to AM at those frequencies.

Aircraft and ports use FM for marker beacons and approach.

thats not 2 way communications though. the pilot isn't communicating with a beacon. he's just listening, to make sure he's landing on a runway & not a highway.

masterpatfx posted-'Today I went to the airport, but there was no difference (or maybe a VERY slight difference, which makes the voice a bit more understandable, but not that I could make out what they said)'-and CK confirmed my recollection of AM, so that explains masterpatfx's post.

Aircraft and ports use FM for marker beacons and approach.

marine band IS vhf fm. i'm too far east of NYC to hear those ports, but know the local fuel ports use FM, & have been told some have SSB capabilities, though not sure if they use SSB locally, or only when in open waters.

Approach beacons such as VOR use both AM and FM modulation to achieve their purpose by causing a phase difference between the two signals. In any event aircraft voice comms are AM on VHF and USB on HF.

Well...

Excuse me for polluting his thread with worthless info. I'll try to be careful next time.

:)
no no, not at all. taking into account the 'ports' portion of your post, you may very well be 50% correct.
of course he wasn't asking about (marine/maritime) ports ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated