• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

vhf/uhf base suggestions

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Need some ideas on a vhf/uhf base antenna...no beams just vertical. the jpole i built is not a good choice to use with the new yaesu ftm350ar i recently purchased. remember the radio does do qrp 1w on 220 (believe it or not mad a few qso on 220 mobile qrp)..so if there is tri band base antennas for less then $100 show me or even a tri band would be great, not a big deal if i cant get a tri bander for under $100 220qrp on a vhf uhf no harm done to radio on tx and qso still good:)

Maybe if you get the Comet SBB224NMO with the NMO mount from Universal and get a base station/ground plane mount for it. That will put it in the $100.00 ballpark for you. How's that sound?

That ought'a work. I have a Comet GP-6 that's basically the same antenna without 220 Mhz. It does very well on 2 and 440.
- 'Doc

That ought'a work. I have a Comet GP-6 that's basically the same antenna without 220 Mhz. It does very well on 2 and 440.
- 'Doc

As u know I have a jpole so what exactly would be different swapping from a jpole unity db to a real gain antenna ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If that 'J'-pole is doing what you want to do then don't change antennas.
I switched from a 'J'-pole to the Comet GP-6 and there was definitely a difference in performance. The Comet has around 6 dB of gain so one or two marginal repeaters are now a solid connection. As well, I can hear one or two that I couldn't hear before. That leads me to believe I can be heard better too. The repeaters I didn't normally hear I honestly don't use so that's not much of a reason for the change in it's self.
I would imagine our circumstances aren't the same so I won't say you would have the same improvement in hearing/being heard. (You should, but I ain't guarantying anything!) I'm not using that 'J'-pole now but I ain't throwing it away either.
That's the difference I've seen between using a 'unity' antenna and one having 'gain'. I think it was worth it in my particular circumstances, you have to decide about yours.
- 'Doc

If that 'J'-pole is doing what you want to do then don't change antennas.
I switched from a 'J'-pole to the Comet GP-6 and there was definitely a difference in performance. The Comet has around 6 dB of gain so one or two marginal repeaters are now a solid connection. As well, I can hear one or two that I couldn't hear before. That leads me to believe I can be heard better too. The repeaters I didn't normally hear I honestly don't use so that's not much of a reason for the change in it's self.
I would imagine our circumstances aren't the same so I won't say you would have the same improvement in hearing/being heard. (You should, but I ain't guarantying anything!) I'm not using that 'J'-pole now but I ain't throwing it away either.
That's the difference I've seen between using a 'unity' antenna and one having 'gain'. I think it was worth it in my particular circumstances, you have to decide about yours.
- 'Doc

Well put buddy.

I wouldn't throw away my home made jpole I think its neat and its my first homemade antenna. It is 30' in the air I can already hit a repeater 75mi away with full quiting so I dont think id gain any benefits from spending $200 to replace a $20 homebrew antenna. My main concern is how well it will work on 220 even tho its not resonant for that band and using 1w qrp I should still be able to do qso's on that band with the jpole the only issue is how much strain it will put on the new radio ? ....

The Diamond X3200A has a few more db's than a Diamond X50A (I use). But it is nearly twice the price too. Height above ground makes a difference. Got it up ~23 ft and I can hit everything very well. The coax will make quite a difference at those freq's too. Get something nice for that; maybe some LMR-500 or 600 if you need a long run. That won't be cheap . . .

X3200A Specifications
Frequency: 2M/220/440
Gain: 6.0/7.8/8.0 dB
Power: 100 watts
Connector: UHF
Height: 10.5 feet
Weight: 4 Lbs.
Wind Rating: 112 MPH

The Diamond X3200A has a few more db's than a Diamond X50A (I use). But it is nearly twice the price too. Height above ground makes a difference. Got it up ~23 ft and I can hit everything very well. The coax will make quite a difference at those freq's too. Get something nice for that; maybe some LMR-500 or 600 if you need a long run. That won't be cheap . . .

X3200A Specifications
Frequency: 2M/220/440
Gain: 6.0/7.8/8.0 dB
Power: 100 watts
Connector: UHF
Height: 10.5 feet
Weight: 4 Lbs.
Wind Rating: 112 MPH

I am running a 50' run of rg58 junk
.. I do have a few hundred feet of rg-213. Maybe ill swap it out when I get the new antenna.

I replaced my Comet GP-9 with the Diamond X-7000
is basically same as the GP-9 but adding the 1.2 Ghz band
i use a beam for 220 (along with a 2 meter & 70cm beams too )

i forgot to mention the Comet CX-333

http://www.cometantenna.com/pdfs/CX-333.pdf

Do any of these antennas need to be grounded?.... i have my jpole mounted to a roof vent pipe which is 3/4 blacksteel pipe, it vents the sewage aroma!

Highlander 821, very nice. price seems fair just need to do some research on it.

i forgot to mention the Comet CX-333

http://www.cometantenna.com/pdfs/CX-333.pdf

Do any of these antennas need to be grounded?.... i have my jpole mounted to a roof vent pipe which is 3/4 blacksteel pipe, it vents the sewage aroma!

Highlander 821, very nice. price seems fair just need to do some research on it.

Well; if the eHam reviews can be believed - the Jetstream JTB5 does not have a decent reputation - one of the worst I've read about.
Maybe 821 owns one and can say something to the contrary.
As far as the Comet CX-333; that gets one of the best antenna reviews I have read on eHam. But it isn't $100 either . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.