• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Video: How to send an APRS message with the Yaesu VX-8r

Great video

The video was great! You answered my question regarding acknowledgements and whether the period means they didn't get it. I have never received an APRS message (though I have sent some with no response), could I trouble you to send one to me to see if I can receive them?

KC8CAY-7

73's
Ben

takes 2 minutes to type cq cq cq hello? how do we hook it up to a laptop

You don't need to press the Mode button to advance to the next character positoin unless the next character is on the same key as the first one. I admit, predictive text would have been a nice addition to the radio.

The main problem with APRS messaging is it only works if you are in radio contact (either direct or via a digipeater) with the recipient. If it goes via the internet then you will probably not be successful as very few gateways seem to gate messages to RF from the internet.

BTW I didn't get any audio from the video either. Seems to be normal with Flash videos. I'm sure there is a techie explanation for it.

Working fine on my end - Win7/IE8

I don't have any radios capable of APRS but found the how-to interesting. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.