• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR Label Memories:Set ModeItem #53 (Why no #53 available?!) P#50 US Manual

N3KDJ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2010
PA
So from time to time when programing the VX-8DR and wanting to Label a Memory, I find there is NO Set Mode Item #53 available?!
I putt 447.125 in the A VFO, I set the Tone to 114.8 and I set the TSQ option...then I Hold Fn (function) and when the memory location is flashing I press Fn again and it's saved...that is all as expected. *BUT* if it's a Memory location where I previously had something stored it says "Overwrite?" and I press the Fn button and it overwrites it...cool...still all good.
Now for the rub...I have 447.125 with a Tone of 114.8 TSQ stored in Memory #1. OK, so now I want to name that SARA (Stamford Amateur Radio Assoc)....I am in MR mode, that #1 memory location is show in the upper left of the A VFO space with MR displayed...so I'm in memory recall mode....I hold down MENU to get the 111 main option settings for the VX-8DR...OK, I turn the knob to get down to Option #53 which usually is MEMORY NAME....utto, there's NO #53...it goes 51, 52, 54, 55....

SO what am I doing wrong here? Am I in some weird BANK mode or something...I don;t think so...no weird icons on the display...totally frustrated. I know, I know...suck it up and buy the ADMS-VX8 software from RT or Yaesu....yes, I need to do that. BUT if I want to name a memory/frequency when out at an ARES event or somewhere, I should still be able to do this. What is it I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Phil

Memory Labels

Yes, I was able to put names in a few such as NYPD ESU for their freq. It would seem something has changed...it seemed I couldn;t put a new name in when I overwrote a memory with a label...but right now, in MR mode, I don;t see #53 as an option at all.

It sounds to me like you may have associated memory # 53 to a bank already, either accidentally or on purpose. Try putting the radio into memory mode by hitting the V/M button. Next, hit the BAND button. This will show you if there are any memory banks. Now, if you hit FN and then BAND, you can use the top dial to scroll through the banks. Go to each bank and look to see if memory #53 is there.

This is one of the more difficult operations to perform with just the VX8 and no programming software. If you were to purchase the RT systems software, it would tell you right away what the story is with #53.

Thanks for your post (and for the video demos of working AO-51 satellite- very interesting- I want one of those Arrow antennas thanks to you!)...anyway...it's NOT Memory #53, it's Menu Item #53 that has disappeared from the Menu when I select a memory to which I wish to add or change a Label.

I did just purchase and install the RT Systems/Yaesu software and cable. I'll be working through this that way too, but there MUST be something I changed- like creating a Bank and assigning a memory to it, or something that made this disappear as an option.

The exact same thing happened to me -- go to menu item #35 (extended menu) and turn it OFF.

I turned mine ON, and lost some things. Including number #53, but only after naming something like four or five memory channels. Turning #35 to OFF fixed me right up.

Give that a shot.

--Alex / KF4YOR

*EDIT* -- Sorry, just noticed you've got the VX-8DR, mine is just the VX-8R. Still, look for "Extended Menu" and turn that off.

#53 via #35

That did it! Way to know. I did see as I started to work with the ADMS SW that you can check or uncheck some of these items and that one had apparently been checked when I apparently turned on the extended menu....who would have thought that the Extended Menu would take away choices?

Yay! Glad that worked! I was thinking the same as you -- turning "extended menu" on would give some more menu items. Something akin to an 'advanced mode' or some such.

Go figure, eh?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.