• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR - New to Ham Radio - No response when trying to transmit

lahori

May 31, 2014
Hi,

I am new to Ham Radio, just passed my technician and general exams.
Bought VX-8DR Yaesu.

Trying to hit repeater in GeorgeTown TX, 146.640, but no luck. I can hear people on 146.640, but when try to transmit, seems like no body is hearing me.
I have set A-band to 146.640 and when hit the HM/RV it shows 146.040
Also the SQLTone is set to Tone, Split is ON. Offset is 600khs. Shows -RPT

Appreciate any help.

Best Regards

How far are you from the repeater? And are you using the rubber duckie antenna that came with the HT? Are you indoors or outdoors?

Do you hear the repeater if you "kerchunk"? That means keying just briefly and then unkeying without saying anything, but listening for the sound of the repeater unkeying. Illegal but common. Or you could quickly key, say "W7XYZ testing" and then unkeying. (Please substitute your own call for W7XYZ).

If you don't hear the repeater reacting to your keying, it's entirely possible that the repeater can't hear you.

using original antenna. tried in house and outside the house
Repeater is approx 5 miles from my home.
I am able to hear people, so receive works, its just the transmit not working ...

Best Regards,
Naeem.

Sounds you may not have the correct PL tone programmed. When no one is using the repeater, key your radio and ID, then listen for the squelch tail when you unkey. I would key up, announce "N8FGB testing", then when I unkey I should hear the repeater until it unkeys. You might want to look up the club and go to a meeting and ask for help.
Rich

This is the picture I just took, shows the settings.

Attachments

• ys1.png
    ys1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
Congratulations on getting your ticket! It looks like everything is set right to me. You might not have a strong enough signal for anyone to hear you well enough to answer. Do you have a longer duckie, or a slim jim you could put on? Or drive closer to the repeater so you can see if you can hit the repeater better?

Brett

Have you contacted anyone in the club yet for help? I am in Taylor and perhaps we could work something out to get you operating. PM me contact info.

I haven't contacted anyone yet in the local club. Don't know how to, unless wait for monthly meeting. Here's my setting. Confirmed settings seems fine. Freq set to 162.2

Attachments

• ys2.png
    ys2.png
    572.8 KB · Views: 257

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.