• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8r Bug?

The blinking "A12" means that your APRS modem is turned on at 1200bps. If you go into the APRS Modem setting and turn it off, the indicator will go away. If you change it to 9600bps, it will start blinking "A96" on the main screen.

Thanks, moleculo. That's exactly what I thought, but the OP mentioned the
blinking A12 annunciator, suggesting that the fact that it blinks could be a
"problem." He apparently did have other real problems regarding his unit being unable to scan and locking up while in WX Rx mode, but my radio doesn't have those problems. BTW, I don't know why Yaesu programmed the modem annunciator to blink. It's a bit distracting and they might have been able to set it on continuous display mode. The same goes for the blinking "dash" annunciator when the squelch meter is set to anything but "off."

Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the VX-8R. I've had quite a few HT's over the years, and this is my favorite. I have only one real complaint, and that regards the permeability of the front end. Maybe they just can't make 'em like they used to. Maybe it has something to do with the small physical size of these modern radios. It's an engineering trade-off, I guess.:blushing:

That is right. I just meant that APRS mode was enabled, indicated by A12 blinking.

But all 3 parts of the setup needed to be set to produce the error:

-APRS mode enabled (A12 blinking)
-WX Alerts turned ON
-Dual Recieve with A-Band scanning VFO (6) and the display set to show the frequencies.

After setting up all of the above, I observed the problems described in the post.

I still have not purchased another VX-8R and found a good deal on a VX-5R, which has been my main HT since. But the APRS bug is starting to itch again...

It should be common knowledge by now that Yaesu uses the amateur community as their test victims. They often release new equipment well before getting all the bugs out now. Some examples include the FT-857 and FT-867. Early versions of these radios almost always broke in RF oscillation on 6 meters. How these radios ever passed FCC inspection in this condition is beyond me.

Then there was the VX-7R. The PL encoder on those radios stinks. With the encoder level set to zero the PL is still very audible on the carrier. Even worse, Yaesu is not forthcoming with any of their design mistakes. They will be happy to charge you to fix their mistakes but will never post them in a service bulletin as Kenwood does.

I like Yaesu but I will NEVER buy another brand new one. I will wait until they have been on the market for at least a few years and the D version comes out to fix the problems in the original design after countless complaints from users. They just don't get it right the first time in too many cases and rush to market.

It should be common knowledge by now that Yaesu uses the amateur community as their test victims. They often release new equipment well before getting all the bugs out now. Some examples include the FT-857 and FT-867. Early versions of these radios almost always broke in RF oscillation on 6 meters. How these radios ever passed FCC inspection in this condition is beyond me.

Then there was the VX-7R. The PL encoder on those radios stinks. With the encoder level set to zero the PL is still very audible on the carrier. Even worse, Yaesu is not forthcoming with any of their design mistakes. They will be happy to charge you to fix their mistakes but will never post them in a service bulletin as Kenwood does.

I like Yaesu but I will NEVER buy another brand new one. I will wait until they have been on the market for at least a few years and the D version comes out to fix the problems in the original design after countless complaints from users. They just don't get it right the first time in too many cases and rush to market.

Don't forget the original ft100,it was a stinker with major flaws.

Blinking A12

Well, I managed to reset some of the menu items and the BLINKING of the A12 annunciator went away (it just stayed on constantly). I'll try to figure out which setting(s) led to the blinking, and when I find out I'll post it, but I guess it's not really important. The blinking was clearly not a "malfunction." My radio works great. This is one rig for which you really need to study the manual...

I just purchased the ADMS program CD and interconnect cable from HRO. This is a really useful package, and it makes programming the VX-8R a breeze.

Nick

The blinking A12 is from the APRS Modem being turned on. Go to the APRS or GPS screen, hold down Menu to get into the Set screen. Menu 4: APRS MODEM is the one that turns the APRS modem on and off.

The blinking A12 is from the APRS Modem being turned on. Go to the APRS or GPS screen, hold down Menu to get into the Set screen. Menu 4: APRS MODEM is the one that turns the APRS modem on and off.

That's correct, but if you shut down the modem, the indicator disappears. The point I made in my last post was that I was able to get the A12 indicator to stop blinking and remain on continuously by resetting some other items on the menu. The VX-8R modem still transmits without blinking. I'll have to go back and reset the menu items one by one to find out which setting caused the blinking, and when I discover what it is I'll post it.:D

That's correct, but if you shut down the modem, the indicator disappears. The point I made in my last post was that I was able to get the A12 indicator to stop blinking and remain on continuously by resetting some other items on the menu. The VX-8R modem still transmits without blinking. I'll have to go back and reset the menu items one by one to find out which setting caused the blinking, and when I discover what it is I'll post it.:D

Sorry, I misunderstood :blushing:.

When you have APRS MUTE turned ON, the A12 blinks. When you have APRS MUTE turned OFF the A12 stays solid. When you have APRS MODEM turned off, the A12 indicator goes away.

Sorry, I misunderstood :blushing:.

When you have APRS MUTE turned ON, the A12 blinks. When you have APRS MUTE turned OFF the A12 stays solid. When you have APRS MODEM turned off, the A12 indicator goes away.

Thank you for the info on APRS MUTE...that's just what I was looking for. You seem to know more about this radio than the Yaesu folks who wrote the manual. Yaesu should contribute to this site!:D

Yaesu should contribute to this site!:D

LOL, Well there are advertising spots available :) Or maybe I can review/educate on other equipment for them without having to pay for it all out of my own pocket :)

Oh darn...I just woke up from my dream :LOL:

Maybe the guys at Flex can lul you back to your slumber...offer to test that spur for them...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated