• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W2IHY EQplus audio equalizer.

oh6nvc

Sep 27, 2011
Any experience or tips about W2IHY EQplus equalizer.
I have Yaesu FT2000 rig and Heil PR-781 mic and I miss the improvement in the quality of the sound. I have a Heil Proset 4 headset and I would like a similar sound quality as it is at the headset to PR781.

It needs to be suitable for dx and contestworking.

73 Mika oh6nvc

IMHO, the 8 band EQ offers the most difference and improvement in your audio, and the noise gate makes a huge difference if you have any background noise in your shack. The 8 bander is easy to change the settings on for a more punchy sound to break through the DX.

The EQ Plus adds more bass and treble, and the compressor and downward expander are nice, too. Can't say enough about Julius' support of his products. Lots of people will argue towards Behringer or other outboard gear... but I will say the W2IHY stuff is extremely easy to hook up and get running, and the audio quality always gets compliments. If you have it in the budget, get the 8 bander and the EQ Plus.

Brett

I run the EQplus on the FT 2000 - D and before that on the FT 847 with Collins filters.

The internal settings of the FT 2000 ( D) are very wide already you can tailor your audio in a very broad banded way and set high, medium and lows as you wish, use all 9 settings....;)

The EQplus adds on the fly low/high equalizing, the clipper and compressor lets you make some loud audio without distortion, the Downwards expander cuts the background noise away.
I use the MD-1 from Yaesu microphone i have in use for 37 years as ham, and don't have to change, looking at the unsollicitated good reports i get.

With the internal settings of the Ft 2000 and an EQplus you should be able to produce any audio you wish.

I run the EQplus on the FT 2000 - D and before that on the FT 847 with Collins filters.

The internal settings of the FT 2000 ( D) are very wide already you can tailor your audio in a very broad banded way and set high, medium and lows as you wish, use all 9 settings....;)

The EQplus adds on the fly low/high equalizing, the clipper and compressor lets you make some loud audio without distortion, the Downwards expander cuts the background noise away.
I use the MD-1 from Yaesu microphone i have in use for 37 years as ham, and don't have to change, looking at the unsollicitated good reports i get.

With the internal settings of the Ft 2000 and an EQplus you should be able to produce any audio you wish.

Sometimes I need to think outside my own box! My thoughts were based on using this equipment on my IC-718, which has absolutely no way to change audio via the rig itself. I hadn't thought about the internal settings available on the FT-2000 when I posted my response. That will certainly save the OP some money, and still get the results he's looking for.

Brett

ive had the w2ihy 8 band eq for almost a week now and all i can say is WOW, i hate to spnd the csh on the eq plus but im sure i will down the road.
i run an rci 2995dx all stock except for upgraded fan in the power supply and external fan in the rear.70,s asroplane antenna.

this eq made a big difference for me and folks i chat with on the radio..first i got it top notch with my night eagle d104 great reports.
then i took a old amlified d104 head only,and hooked to a xlr plug for the rear of the eq.
the head alone is putting out as good or better than the night eagle,per reports im getting from others w/out asking for report on my audio.

i read where a guy took a panasonic cell phone headset mic,and made his 300 dollar heil mic sound like crap when compared..i have it saved if needed.

so i now have made 3 diffrent mics,,night eagle for the 8 pin plug on the eq,,d104 head and xlr hook up on rear of eq..
just made a mic from a old bellsouth cordless phone mounted inside a small flashlight.coleman ink pen..
now another im doing now..to plug in the rca jack in the eq.
all for the search of that perfect studio sound we all love when we here it on the radio..
i feel this eq alone will make any mic from .99 cents to 900.00 sound just as good..imho.. great work julius,,and im glad now i didnt go with the berhinger stuff..
btw,w2ihy.com 8 band eq i got was only 210 bucks as he has a few left from ham conventions that he uses to demonstrate then he sells them as refurbished..they have the same money back and 3 yr warranty as always too.
and belive me it looks brand new and never used in my eyes so the savings was well worth it imo..

To the original poster, your headset has an HC4 cartridge that has very little low end response and will be hard to get to sound really good because it was meant for hard DX work.
Good luck.

The w2ihy 8 band box is not worth the money .You can buy a pro Mic preamp , pro eq ,compressor deeser for cheaper than that box and sound 100 times better .And to stop the hum and other problems with rfi use the behringer hd 400 .I am selling my heil 781 mic and w2ihy box as there are useless after using my pro gear .

Reactions: mb91w126
The w2ihy 8 band box is not worth the money .You can buy a pro Mic preamp , pro eq ,compressor deeser for cheaper than that box and sound 100 times better .And to stop the hum and other problems with rfi use the behringer hd 400 .I am selling my heil 781 mic and w2ihy box as there are useless after using my pro gear .
been 13 months now and i love the 8 band eq..yes you can get cheaper but i like mine a lot..i used many diff electrets from old and new cordless telephones,and a few from cell phones with this eq and get positive feedback every time im talkiin ..always think im running a icom.yaaaazzuuuu,kenwood hf rig,,and im not... electrets from phones and head sets are cheaper than most heil mics and i get the same effect using the eq and cheap mics :)
i may could do the same with a cheaper eq but i like it..just mho.

If your gear is Behringer, it isn't pro gear at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.