• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Walcott CB shop Davenport Iowa

rabbiporkchop

Jan 18, 2007
pennsylvania
I tried to do a Google search for my testimonial regarding the terrible service I got at Walcott CB shop back in 2004 and I was unable to locate anything via Google so I figured I would repost my experience here to hopefully save some people from wasting lots of money for an inferior service..

Back in 2004 I purchased a Galaxy 99 from this place and the guy told me I needed to have him retune the radio. After the retune I took it to my truck and got a radio check and everybody told me I was over modulated and distorted. Nobody could understand what I was saying. Ssb what is lay off frequency on both transmit and receive. I also noticed the TalkBack function did not appear to be working.
I took the radio inside and complained about the issues and the guy said he needed to install a special aftermarket TalkBack board to fix the TalkBack problem. After about an hour the guy brought me back the radio and I took it back to my truck and I was still over modulated and on site and I was also off frequency on both transmit and receive. Needless to say after paying $550 for everything and still having an unusable radio I was extremely pissed especially after wasting my whole afternoon at this place. I took the radio back into the counter and set it on the counter and when the guy came out and I told him I wanted him to replace my radio with a brand-new unmolested radio and the guy proceeded to call 911 and told me to leave the store and that I was trespassing. I waited until the police showed up and I explained the situation that after spending all of this money I still did not have a usable radio because of the damage they did to the radio. They told me that I was free to leave but that if I refused to leave they would be arresting me. So I ended up leaving with the crappy radio. A couple weeks later I bumped into an old man in Holbrook Arizona named Jack Thurston at the Hopi Travel Plaza and he had a radio shop in the back side of the truck stop. I explained to him the problems I was having with this brand new radio and who the people were that I purchased the radio from and he just started to chuckle to himself. He told me he would be able to fix it for me and so I gave him an opportunity to repair the radio. After opening up the radio, the first thing he noticed was that the R32 was missing completely. Typical hack shop stuff. After a couple hours of tinkering with it I finally got it to where he was comfortable with it and said it was done. He switched it over to 38 Lower Side Band for a radio check and immediately got a contact in Mexico saying it was loud and Crystal Clear. Needless to say I was very happy with the work that was done. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Walcott CB shop or their so-called technicians. Buyer beware...

Nothing like a 14 year old review....
Well I have dealt with them since and found them very accommodating...interesting
I am more surprised the above post did not have another "shameless" plug for you know who...:rolleyes::LOL:
All the Best:ROFLMAO:
Gary
There was a Shameless plug for a shop that's no longer in business that did an excellent job at repairing the damage that was done. Since you know who never touched that particular radio until a couple of years after Jack did it I figured it wasn't even worth mentioning. Needless to say that Jack won't be touching any more of my radios although I do know where he currently lives if I did get desperate.

There was a Shameless plug for a shop that's no longer in business....

I'll call it for what it really is,..................

bsflag2.gif

There was a Shameless plug for a shop that's no longer in business that did an excellent job at repairing the damage that was done. Since you know who never touched that particular radio until a couple of years after Jack did it I figured it wasn't even worth mentioning. Needless to say that Jack won't be touching any more of my radios although I do know where he currently lives if I did get desperate.
Are you referring to Jack Thurston a.k.a. Freecell who's been banned off this forum and even ran off with a guys money and radio that he sent to him for service?

He's probably back selling vacuum cleaners door to door, isn't he? :LOL:

Are you referring to Jack Thurston a.k.a. Freecell who's been banned off this forum and even ran off with a guys money and radio that he sent to him for service?

Jack knew his stuff even if he did lace it with a bit of bullshit and there was no doubt he was an arrogant a-hole.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

I don't condone what Jack did. But I do have to give credit where credit is due and he is a decent technician although a little rough around the edges. In regards to your question yes I'm making reference to that same individual

Reactions: fourstringburn
Jack knew his stuff even if he did lace it with a bit of bullshit and there was no doubt he was an arrogant a-hole.
According to Jack in 2004, he said he's been doing this type of work so long that he does not need an oscilloscope. If you look at his Facebook page "fc network" he posted something fairly recently about it being impossible to do this type of work without an oscilloscope. I think associating with Mark is rubbing off on Jack which is a good thing

...Some people like to learn things the hard way...

Really? Inquiring minds want to know.
Please do tell me more about this "new" speed of light constant that only He seems to know.

"The reason the calculation he uses isn't available online, is because he disputes the commonly estimated speed of light which puts his numbers slightly different than the ones you would arrive at..."

post # 14 @ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiM7KnkjfvPAhWGMyYKHRKdBz4QFggcMAA&url=http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143645-Finally-a-radio-technician-that-actually-knows-what-he-is-doing!!!!!!&usg=AFQjCNHbSy68QnBwPjSHil8gAWA2lRgEvQ

yum.gif
yum.gif
yum.gif

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated