• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What are some of the radios used today that wont break the bank ?

Oatmeal

Mar 22, 2009
West Virginia..
Interested in knowing what some of the radios are been used today, and can be used on the 10m and 11m bands as well as other bands ?.....base or mobile radio..

I used to run a 2995dx, and got to enjoy talking dx on the 10m band with it and liked how well it talked dx just using 20 watts, and not running a ton of power to do this....I sure do mise that RCI radio.....what is some of the HF radios used today also...

Last edited:

I just acquired a kenwood ts140s for a bit under 300. It's a good radio, nothing real fancy but it will beat the pants off most exports IMO. Haven't used it much as I also bought an icon 746 that is the cats meow!! But i paid a bit more for it then the kenwood. The kenwood Does right at 110 watts pep on SSB and I have gotten good audio reports from others from it. Like I said it's nothing fancy but it works well. I don't use am much at all, very rarely if that so my experience with the kenwood ts140 has been on SSB only. For new radios the icom 718 or Alinco sr8t are supposed to be good radios as well. Hope this helps some. God bless

Reactions: Oatmeal
The old Yaesu FT-101 series of radios can be found for reasonable prices and still provide a good value.
A plus is that they are great on AM if that is your mode of choice.

Jeff

Well, since these other Gentlemen have the Ham gear and the 10 meter rigs covered, I'll suggest some 11 Meter rigs that work well and are affordable(At least less the the ham rigs).Cobra 2000GTL. If you want a Base this is a good one. I own one and I logged a QSO with a gent named 505N.London This morning on 38LSB. Europe and the UK were rolling. I'm barefoot doing fifteen watts on SSB through a Solarcon A99.
If you want a double-duty rig that does both extremely well, find one of the older Phillipines built Uniden Grant XL Side-Mounted Mic mobiles. Either in the car with a Wilson Antenna or in the house on a 12 amp PS, this will talk with a lot of 10 Meter rigs. Active filtering and dual-Conversion receive, easy to modify with channels, puts out a lot of power when modded. Last one I had running did almost 23 watts on Sideband. I talked all over the world from inside a 90 T-bird with it. Cost for a good condition used Grant XL is around $100.00 to $150.00, depending on Mods or lack thereof.

Reactions: Oatmeal

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.