• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the best cheap radio that can recieve pirate stations?

MR.DX

Mar 25, 2012
I live in Montana, and cannot get pirate radio stations on my Grundig YB-400PE, what is a good reciever that is cheap?(around 200$ and under)
I mostly want an Icom IC-R75

I live in Montana, and cannot get pirate radio stations on my Grundig YB-400PE, what is a good reciever that is cheap?(around 200$ and under)
I mostly want an Icom IC-R75

Your grundig is more than capable of receiving pirate broadcasters.Where and when are you looking?

Your grundig is more than capable of receiving pirate broadcasters.Where and when are you looking?

I look on the 31 meter band starting around 9680 to 9625 khz is where I usually look. I tune in usually at 2:00 UTC. The problem is, is that most broadcast in AM, and LSB. My radio only has SSB unless there's somthing I'm missing.

Last edited:
Single Sideband (SSB) can be either Upper Sideband (USB) or Lower Sideband (LSB). If the control only says SSB, you'll have to use the fine tuning feature to tune carefully above and below the center of the signal to be able to understand it. Typically, USB is 10 MHz and above, and LSB is anything below that. Not that pirate stations will care...:headbang

I look on the 31 meter band starting around 9680 to 9625 khz is where I usually look. I tune in usually at 2:00 UTC. The problem is, is that most broadcast in AM, and LSB. My radio only has SSB unless there's somthing I'm missing.

Try tuning between 6915-6965 KHz.This is where you will find the majority of the North American Pirates.Any mode can be used, I've copied pirates using SSTV sending QSL's back and forth. Weekends are usually the best time to monitor and I'd suggest listening on July 4 as holidays are also prime time for free radio broadcasts.Also, Euro pirates tend to use freqs between 6200-6300 KHz.

Last edited:
6925 USB or 6925 AM, is a great place to start, especially on holidays and or weekends. Check the HF Underground website forums for real- time updates.

Yeah, I worded that first post wrong. I what I meant was a radio under 200$ to keep me occupied until I do get an IC-R75. I want one so bad :cry:

They have 2 R71A's for sale now. Nice old rigs.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r71a.html

I am going there tomorrow, I'll take a look at them.

A good short wave receiver is a must have item and what you can afford gives you what you get! :unsure:

What I really want to say is that you may want to try for a resonant antenna, an external wire with a small tuner will work wonders! Only drawbacks are your location, covenants and man made noise.... QRM!
An antenna of about a vertical quarter wavelength of 49 meters would work well for reception and a dipole in an inverted "V" will work wonders!
Because of the antenna being resonant, it will match the sending frequency of the pirates' transmission. A small wire tuner will help with a closer match and and inverted "V" will be facing a good direction. I have one where one leg is North and South and the other is East and West, the height is 35 feet at the feed point, I also use this as my transmitting antenna! (y)

73 mechanic

Last edited:
the Kaito 1103 is a good cheap sw radio....it hears most of the same things my R71A hears. handles SSB, ton of memories, alarms etc....ebay has mutiple sellers of these rigs....comes with nicad rechargeable batteries and charger. for the money it is very good and has great reviews.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated