• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the Range of a HAND HELD CB?

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
I have that old GE Odd Ball Radio model number 3-5980A
Would the range on this be line of sight???

The Rubber Ducky Antenna on it is About 9 and 1/2 half Inches.

Like C/K`s answer :)
It depends on sooo many variables.
Even if it is a 4 watt handheld you are stuck with a very inefficient antenna.
I am not familiar with that model, but if it has a connector for a external antenna you stand a chance of getting a little range out of it by using a better antenna, such as a mobile antenna or if using it at home, a base antenna.
Handheld with the rubber duck, as 959 is right.
Other things can help.
Top floor of a tall building.
Standing on top of a mountain, in the clear talking to the valley below.
Midland used to make a portable 40 channel radio that ran off of a Battery pack and had a (about) 3 foot collapsible center loaded antenna that swiveled up on the back, it was surprisingly good for what it was ( I had both versions at one time, the 23 channel and 40 channel model) the downfall of it was the speaker/mic cord was known for failing from being flexed all the time.

Jeff

If it has a BNC connector, get a BNC to SO239 adapter and use a mag mount antenna, I am currently using a cobra 36st hh, 40 channel cb with a k40 mag mount, inside a hotel room with the mag mount going to the ac unit. Antenna is indoors and I am able to talk 8-10 miles with it, it uses 10 aa, batts, picked a set of them up for 25 dollars and I will say I am getting good audio reports lol. No one believes me when I say I'm in my hotel room on a walkie talkie, I did open it up and turned the modulation pot up,good find for 12.50 a radio, they were brand new in the box from 2000. Flea market find. Fun to talk on and very portable, I would say if I put it on the mobile with the sirio 5000 it would do pretty good for a hand held radio. Try and find the adapter and then you can use a mag mount or any antenna for that matter for better range. Good luck and god bless.

All hand held radios are limited by their antenna. A typical 'rubberduck' just isn't large/long enough to produce a very usable radiation pattern, they are for convenience only. As with any antenna, putting an almost 'full sized' antenna on an HT will let it perform much better. A 'full sized' antenna for HF is just very inconvenient to tote around for most people, you know?
Another thingy is that 'range' is a very bad way of comparing or judging a radio or antenna. Especially with HF stuff, propagation is what will determine how far you can hear/talk. We have no control over that. What may be very nice now can change in a very short period of time to very terrible. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Especially with HF stuff, propagation is what will determine how far you can hear/talk. We have no control over that.

No one believes me when I say I'm in my hotel room on a walkie talkie

I can understand that, I sometimes have a hard time getting anyone to believe that I talked to one of the forum members here on SSB one time.....I was on my base station, and he was on a handheld radio, one of the Cherokee AH-100 models if i remember right.
I am here in Ca, and he was in Chicago , his handle was 558, Radio Free Chicago.
He still gets on the forum here from time to time :laugh: so it can be done if the conditions are just right.
He was NOT using the rubber ducky I assure you.

Jeff

Attachments

• ad_ah100slick.jpg
    ad_ah100slick.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 6
I think those radios have just a threaded stud for the top antenna connection. Motorola I think?? A lot of hand held scanners and LMR HT's had the same thing. A picture of the jack and/or antenna base would really help.

Last edited:
Those connectors are like a long RCA connector. I guess there must have been a few connectors over the years referred to as a Motorola type. The connector on a car radio antenna is a Motorola connector and I have heard the simple threaded stud referred to as a Motorola connector. At least it wasn't a type "C" connector. Have fun finding those. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.