• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What Izzit?!?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
A few blocks away from my QTH, there is a Ham antenna at a house. I asked the people who live at this house what model of antenna is it - thinking that a Ham must live there. To my surprise, they said 'No Ham here'. They said they want to get rid of the thing, so I just might take it off of their hands.

The antenna is a mystery to me. What make/model is it? The tower, the rotor (don't think there is a control box available as yet), coax, and the beam itself.

Soooo; What Izzit?

Let's see how fast our panel of experts can give the definitive answer!
:blink::tongue::LOL::whistle::unsure:

If you look at the picture carefully, you will notice that there are some loading coils along some of the elements.

Attachments

• PICT0283.JPG
    PICT0283.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 253

Not completely sure, but it looks sorta like a TH6-DXX Hy-Gain tribander with, if the center element is quite a bit longer than the others, a 40M rotatable dipole doubling as the DE for 10/15/20.

Looks like this: TH6DXX Installation at W7VO

OK - you said it first...
But are you sure it does 40m?
Differentiate your diagnoses...

Seriously though; what about the mast and the rotor?
Remember: that picture will blow waaay up if you click on it!

Does this picture match the diagram and manual?
Is it still a 40m radiator? I can see that the radiator element is longer than the diagram shows. I just haven't found any info on modifications for this antenna.

Attachments

• TH6DXX.gif
    TH6DXX.gif
    82.7 KB · Views: 354
  • TH6-DXX Thunderbird.pdf
    517.8 KB · Views: 234
If the center element - the driven element - is a couple feet longer than the reflector, then it might have a 40M feature. If not, it's just a tribander.

You can see the elements better than we can...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.