• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What power supply

Definitely hidden costs that some overlook. I like overkill when it comes to power supplies. The use of old server power supplies really cuts the cost down though. Most guys I suggest this to don't want something that doesn't come in a nice case ready to sit on the desk.
The server power supply is a decent alternative. I picked up a cheap dell poweredge 6800 drilled a couple holes. Togle switch and a couple 1k pots and away I went. Definitely consider a variable for the fans unless you want the sound of an airplane in your shack. I believe at 110v it's good to around 100 amps. I never pushed it that hard...a 4 pill is all I tested mine with an it didn't have any probs and no noise in the equipment either. It was an easy project and not costly. I did however leave it on the floor under the desk. Even with the fans turned down its a little noisy to have next to the radio. Here is a vid of a guy that did pretty much the same thing I did. I however soldered power cable to each individual prong + & -, heat shrinked, and the ran them together at a distribution block I had laying around. Looks cleaner and all is balanced.

If snap, should have looked before opening my pie hole!! Didn't realize this was a 3yr old post!! Wouldn't even have wasted the text time LOL!!

The server power supply is a decent alternative. I picked up a cheap dell poweredge 6800 drilled a couple holes. Togle switch and a couple 1k pots and away I went. Definitely consider a variable for the fans unless you want the sound of an airplane in your shack. I believe at 110v it's good to around 100 amps. I never pushed it that hard...a 4 pill is all I tested mine with an it didn't have any probs and no noise in the equipment either. It was an easy project and not costly. I did however leave it on the floor under the desk. Even with the fans turned down its a little noisy to have next to the radio. Here is a vid of a guy that did pretty much the same thing I did. I however soldered power cable to each individual prong + & -, heat shrinked, and the ran them together at a distribution block I had laying around. Looks cleaner and all is balanced.

I've got 2 of those in parallel on 240vac for my work bench. They will run a 16 pill without any issues. They are noisy even with the fans slowed way down.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?