• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What software do you use regularly?

Here is my whole run down for my station;

I use SDR Uno for SDR software. This is free and very intuitive. There are other popular free ones like SDR console. The SDRPlay is by far the best one going to add a SDR receiver to your station.

I also use Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) for logging. This comes with DM780 with plenty of digital modes and has auto logging digital mode contacts. This also has rig control which makes it nice for DX cluster spots where you can click on a spot and the radio tunes to that frequency and if equipped, turns a rotor automatically to the DX stations heading.

My Kenwood comes with it's own free rig control software and a remote server software for setting up a remote station which I do have mine setup for and use it occasionally. This software is great for radio setups because it provides plain English menu setups and even provides more menus that can't be set by the radio itself. The Kenwood radio software are radio specific and are available on Kenwoods web page.

I like to use this forum for interacting with other radio users and getting some information I wouldn't get elsewhere. I use QRZ and LOTW logbooks so I have multiple backups for each one and my HRD log uploads and downloads to both with a mouse click.

I occasionally mess with JT-65A or FT8. The software by WSJT works best and with an add on soft ware called JTAlert-X, I get auto logging to my HRD log.

If you want to record audio and play it back on the air, there is free software by Audacity. This saves recordings to a file that many installed programs like SDRUno can find it and record and play the file back over the air if desired. The radio does have to have it's audio in/out and rig control into the computer for this to work though.

As long as you have a fairly modern radio that has computer control capability by USB or DB9 cables, you can adapt any of the above programs or similar ones to enhance your station.

If you were referring to that so called HI-FI audio and outboard gear, I leave that for FM DJ's and pro audio live sound and recording studios.

The more processing you add to a signal, the further from the truth you get. A good mic, radio, and hopefully a good radio voice will go along way!

I only use a little compression that is on the radio and the radio's software user EQ is only gently bumped within the band pass filter of the radio. My mic uses a variable impedance box that loads the input impedance at 3000 ohms and it really opens the mic sound up far better than adding a bunch of EQ. The mics output impedance still remains around 270 Ohms.

That's all I use for any processing.

Last edited:
I am kinda thinking the opposite. Things like a world clock? maybe one You can punch a call in and it tells the local time? Propagation prediction? DX clusters (have no idea what that is). Programs to help point a beam, long or short? I've seen maps with lines all over representing recent contacts, and the band they were made on. for instance, I just downloaded dxlabs installer and installed dxview. Is that even useful today, or are there better tools for the job.

My rigs are so old, and filters so narrow, that there is nothing to be gained with rack gear. Computer interface is too limited and/or expensive too.

Hamlogger (Logger32) for general logging, awards tracking etc.
MixW for RTTY contesting
N1MM for all other contesting
Proscan for scanner programming
Chirp for some handheld programming

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
The only software I use in the "shack" is CQRlog for logging contacts.

In addition to CQRlog, I also use WSJT-X and Fldigi (the latter not so much these days it seems). I use YAAC for APRS monitoring.

I also use various development tools--Emacs and Xfce Terminal--to work on Hamlib and some other stuff.

I've started playing with SKCC Logger running under Wine for SKCC QSOs. I'll have to see how that works out.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
I use Ham Radio Deluxe, NAP3, and various RT Systems software for HTs. For HTs I've gone back to RT Systems stuff because it saves a lot of time sharing frequencies between various radios. I've also been travelling a lot for work and the RT Systems app gives you the ability to use online repeater databases to easily load specific cities.

I run LOG4OM as a free logging program. It has spots, too. Omni-rig to link to my rig, and it is free. SDR-Console 3 as a panadapter via my RSP-1, and it is free. VOA Prop as a predictor, and it is free. Chirp to program my HT's, and it is free. See a trend here? ;)

Since you are running older gear that doesn't interface with a computer for control, the LOG4OM and VOA Prop are probably your best bets. The VOA Prop does have a setting where you can say how much power you run, and if you have a beam antenna or not, and it will give you a prediction on where you "should" be able to talk. I have found it to be quite accurate over the years.

Brett

I use Ham Radio Deluxe, although I tire of even slight SWR problems interfering with the USB-based com port. Arghh.
DX-Atlas is high-post.
Any software that can easily be manipulated via Visual Basic

I use Ham Radio Deluxe, although I tire of even slight SWR problems interfering with the USB-based com port. Arghh.
DX-Atlas is high-post.
Any software that can easily be manipulated via Visual Basic
Why would a high SWR interfere with a comport? I run 5 comport USB devices and never had an issue

Sounds like a possible high CMC in the shack.

I've seen RF filtered USB boxes that may help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.